Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latest from Houston - Fw: [DHHC] HPD has stopped ASL classes for police officers!
Deaf Online > Legal, Political & Medical Issues > Law & Order
Boult
(grabbed from bhNEWS)
Latest from Houston - Fw: [DHHC]HPD has stopped ASL classes for police officers!

----- Original Message -----  
To: DHHC@yahoogroups.com  
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 10:49  
Subject: [DHHC] HPD has stopped ASL classes for police officers!

No more ASL classes paid by the police department! Officers can take Spanish or Viet Namese, but they will no longer provide sign language classes for Houston officers.

WHY?

Because there is no feedback or input from the Deaf community. They never hear anything from us. We do not attend the Citywide PIP meetings (They always have interpreter there, but no Deaf show up.) They don't hear from us if we appreciate it or not. This is one other reason why we need a good representative for the Mayors Commission.

Many officers want to continue classes and learn more ASL. So, sorry! Too Bad! Is that fair?

-Michelle

I guess this tells you that 28 to 30 millions Hearing Impaired (deaf or hard of hearing even laten-deaf for you culturally deaf folks who can't stand this word "H.I.!" ) are not 100% ASL lovers!

Something to think about out of 28 to 30 millions Hearing Impaired, there are about 150 Thousands to 200 Thousands which are Deaf and can be up to 1 million if you include HI and hearing professional who use ASL in USA (not world wide mind ya!).

Those msg that says Houston PD dropped ASL classes because NO Deaf came to meeting so what does this tells you? They simply shuns hearing folks even polices.. You, former DN, might remember a thread there about Police Corruptions.. that could be the case.. but hey.. If those Deaf wants ASL to be widespread, they ought to make it feasible but HPD tried and nixed it for good!

Anyway, since there are up to 30 millions Hearing Impaired in this deaf community in USA and they probably want to be Mainstream culture instead of staying in Deaf culture. But that does not means DC is dying but getting smaller yeah..

It is good that ASL has been recognized as a language for Deaf (I mean culturally Deaf!)

In another word, I think this kind of thing (regarding to this email) kindly reinforce the fact that the "As Deaf As I Wanna Be" has been telling us.

Cheers!
Wiggums
ASL classes are a waste. Almost NONE of my hearing friends have seen a deaf person. Why expect the WHOLE world to sign to you whenever you're around? The simple fact is: there are TOO few deaf people. Sure, I'm deaf - but I don't expect the world to stop whenever I command it to. It's utterly stupid and the police department did the right thing!

I have two friends who are cops - one was a cop for 11 years. Neither one of them have ever encountered a deaf person. What does that tell you?
Wiggums
Deaf people keep telling me there are a lot more people taking ASL classes here in California. They seem to think hearing people now want to go out and meet deaf people. Wrong.

I have a friend who's a teacher - and more hearing students (there are no deaf people in that school) have asked about taking ASL so they can avoid taking Spanish or other foreign languages since California accepts ASL as a "foreign" language which is required to complete high school. The hearing people know it's an easy way out, period.
Mark B.
I encountered the same frustrating apathy from the deaf community when I served the Governor's Committee on Deafness. We needed input on many proposals, including training and certification of interpreters, interpreter pay, TRS, visual signage at airports, etc., etc., etc. Notices were given far in advance (4 weeks +) with reminders as the hearing dates got closer.

At an average, only 3-5 people showed up, many hearings none at all.

Soooo, like the old cowboy adage goes, "Ya'll can lead a horse to water, but ya'll can't make it drink!"

Mark sad.gif
loml
As a hearie whose has studied some ASL, I can say for myself this:

It was/is difficult to learn, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the words are English and the ole brain wants to slam it in English syntax . I am sure it has something to do with the fact that it is not "heard". My grey matter is aligned in a certainly way I guess. tongue.gif

From a teachers perpective, I have yet to see ASL used in a mainstream enviroment. Literacy must be addressed with d/hi children.

If a teacher really wants to make a difference they need to focus on what works for literacy.

If ASL is an "easy" way out then, college adminstration need a cup of reality given to them, if their goal is to produce effective teachers.

jmo
Juice58
Originally posted by loml
As a hearie whose has studied some ASL, I can say about this myself:

It was/is difficult to learn, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the words are English and the ole brain wants to slam it in English syntax . I am sure it has something to do with the fact that it is not "heard". My grey matter is aligned in a certainly way I guess. tongue.gif  

jmo

I agree, when I started loosing my hearing I became interested in ASL. The signing is not the problem it's wanting to use them in proper English syntax. Don't think it has anything to do with not being heard. I had the same problem trying to learn spanish in high school. When you are used to putting nouns, pronouns, verbs etc. in a certain order, it's difficult to make your brain reverse everything you know.
Dale
This just shows again that the deaf cult would rather sit in deaf
club meetings and gripe, or post whiny replies to threads in DN
than actually get out and DO something about it!

I think the reason is that most of the "problems" that draw deaf
militants together are either A: pathetically simple to solve (i.e.
communication problems) or B: largely self-inflicted (i.e. the poor
education rates among deaf school grads).

If the deaf militants that scream "Police departments don't care
about us" actually went to the police, and helped to set up
education programs, then they'd quickly find themselves looking
for a real job. (the best one their 4th-grade education can get
them, anyway!)

As far as the deaf cult is concerned, b*tching is good for business,
action isn't!
Mark B.
Bravo, Dale, Bravo!!! clap.gif

Mark tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.