Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now it's ya'lls turn
Deaf Online > Legal, Political & Medical Issues > Law & Order
Broke Hoss
Hey again Ya'll. After doing all the good with training within the department, I've been asked to attend one of the meetings of a local Deaf organization. They are wanting me to educate them on what we (Police) expect of them during contacts, and what they can do to help; as well as what to expect from a contact with the police.

Most of it is just the same as with a hearing person, especially on traffic stops. Don't do anything that could be interpreted as an aggressive move. Understand, we don't know who you are until we get up there and meet you. 99.9 % of the people we meet are great people who only made a mistake, but we have to be ready for that .1% that will stop us from going home at the end of our shift.

I will explain our policy & training on when an interpreter will be called, and when one won't.

Basic things like that. But what would you like to know if you were gonna be in my class? Give me some ideas so that it might help us out here.

You did great last time, so thanks in advance
Sherry
Hi Jim!

And *ahem* I want to be one of the .1% that doesn't have trouble going home either, hehe...

One of the things that would bother ME is being stopped by police at night if I were alone. I'm female- and being stopped by a cop I can't lipread very well in the dark would not do well with me. I'd want to keep driving till both of us were in a better lit place but of course that would not go over well. I was actually pulled over once for my ONE speeding ticket at night at I remember that well- he suggested I go to a hotel and get some sleep cuz I looked tired (I was traveling) and I took his suggestion. HOWEVER...it was the middle of the night and I was very uncomfortable at being pulled over in the middle of nowhere when I can't hear what he is saying. He was professional- that isn't the issue. Do I have the right to keep driving to a better location even if it is a few miles off if I do not appear to be making a run for it? Night time conversations are difficult.

Not that it would happen to me but what is the policy if you have a deaf person who can't communicate except via sign language and you have to handcuff them? Just curious....

Nice to see you back! biggrin.gif

Sherry
Banjo
Originally posted by Sherry
Not that it would happen to me but what is the policy if you have a deaf person who can't communicate except via sign language and you have to handcuff them?  Just curious....

They have the rights to remain silent.

But I think they are uncuffed while they are being questioned. But I think that depends on the locations.

Remember.... NEVER cuff somebody's hands in front of them. It always should be in the back, because if you cuff them in the front. They can kill or harm you by just putting them around your neck.
Broke Hoss
Sherry: I suggest pulling to the side of the road as soon as it is safe to do so. One reason is, the officer might not be stopping you. He might have his lights on en route to another location and you just happen to be in between him and where he's going. But if he is stopping you, a great delay would cause alot of suspicion. I actually talked about this in my class to our officers, we talked about moving to a location that would assist or even using our flashlights to light up our faces while talking. I would suggest that if you are having trouble understanding the officer, let him know. ADA does require efficient communication; if it ain't happening let him know!

About cuffing in back...Generally we don't cuff in front for the very reason that Banjo mentions. Some Depts actually have rules saying that is the only way. But, I'm lucky in our dept has allowed us to use our judgement on cuffing someone, hearing or not, behind thier back.
Sherry
My concern tho is if you are driving on a dark road and there is no light, no town to be seen for miles, a deaf female is not going to be comfortable pulling over at night. It doesn't feel safe- nor does it feel safe to keep driving and ignoring the officer, *lol*...

Didn't Texas have problems with some creeps masquerading as police officers and going after single women at night some years ago? I remember a series of rapes, etc. and I think it was in Texas although I might be wrong.

Sherry
Broke Hoss
Okay, now Sherry, what are doing out there all by yourself cruising on those dark and lonely roads to start with?

No really, I'm not saying a person doesn't need to be careful. But we have to balance it out with common scense. If you're being stopped by a marked unit with red flashing lights all over it, it's doubtful that it is a ruse. Now I understand people's hesitantcy to stop for me; I'm in a plain white Impala and only have a "kojack light" that I set up on my dash. That's why I try to have a patrol unit come over and make my stops, but sometimes the circumstances don't allow it. But I also saw a DPS car the other day that was totally unmarked, it was a green Taraus, that had the fancy hidden strobes. He had a car pulled over on I-20.

But here in TX, especially in smaller citys or countys, it's not unusual to see pick-up trucks with lights on them. Some are volunteer firefighters, others are law enforcement.

I don't remember the specific incidents that you're refering to with the guys impersonating peace officers, but it does seem familiar. We've even had a simular deal here in Abilene; no rapes but a wierdo with a blue flashing light. Again, his car wasn't marked, his "uniform" wasn't one that was recognized around here, and he didn't look exactly right. Some people did stop, but questioned him about who he was with.

I work in plain clothes, and I've shown my ID card to people before. I've also had them call my dispatcher, so they would know I was for real.
Sherry
HAHA, I used to drive from San Antonio to Colorado Springs when I was single...and all the roads are basically country roads and if it's night...well. I don't do that anymore. YAY!

I've only been stopped once and it was dark, etc. and it was a well deserved ticket. I was speeding. Whoops! The other encounter tho was the one I mentioned before when I was stranded on the Mississippi River Bridge and a voice appeared out of nowhere in my car and I didn't understand him. eek.gif

Sherry
Wiggums
I get pulled over probably once every few months.

Not once have I had problems with them - well, yes, I can be a jerk, but not once were the problems related to my profound deafness. I don't see what the hoopla's about, really.
Broke Hoss
Sherry, I member your bridge story. And you must behave yourself if those are your only stops. I got stopped again the other night, and I was headed home from work. I passed the patrol officer who was driving like 25 in a 30 zone. Of course he knew me when he got up to my window. I had been up for over 24 hrs on a case, and was heading home for about 2 hrs before coming back and doing it again. So I basically told him to hurry up, I needed the rest.

Wiggums, there isn't that much of a big deal with most people. But we have a few officers, and some citizens, that make for a bad experience. I know several people here that have such a fear of police (undeserved imho) but they truly believe that if they're stopped only 2 things can happen. Either they go to jail or they get shot. I have to explain over and over that we (APD) contact about 100 citizens a day and we don't kill or arrest most of them. I think alot comes from many not having the experience of being contacted by an officer. And I admit that if someone has the bad luck of a bad experience with an officer; that can sour your outlook. But that is like me saying that all ________(fill in the blank) are trouble makers because I had to arrest one once. And if you do this job as long as I have I can fill in the blank with just about anything
Bowak
Humm, I've been pulled over a few times. When the cop comes up to my window I make it a point to let him/ her know I am deaf and able to lipread.

One of them took the time to make a big silly gesture but he made sure I understood him. of course trying not to laugh. However...I've had no problems with the police officers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.