Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
STOP DEAF MILITANTS! Your help needed.
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:06 PM
Post #1 | Print

Guests

Oregon has a severe budget crisis. $400 million needs to be cut and 1/3 of the state troopers are history. I thought it was high time to send this letter to the governor, senate and house leaders as well as the local house rep:

March 3, 2003

Rep Jerry Krummell
900 Court St. NE
Salem, OR 97301

RE: IS IT TIME TO CLOSE THE STATE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF?

Dear Rep. Jerry Krummel,

The state residential school for the deaf in Salem costs Oregon taxpayers approximately $5 million dollars a year and serves only approximately 100 students. At $50,000 per year per child, the legislators and governor must look at the economic justification of this expense, especially when $5 million will put 100 laid-off state troopers back on the road. Here are a few arguments for closing the school:

1) There is no state law, or federal law for that matter, that requires the state to provide education for the deaf. Only the deaf child's local school district is required by law to educate deaf kids -- indeed, most deaf kids in Oregon DO attend their local public schools (this is called mainstreaming).

2) Continuing to operate a duplicate deaf school program at the state level in this day and age of mainstreaming is done at 10-fold cost to Oregon taxpayers compared to a mainstreamed special education program for the deaf.

3) State residential schools across the nation are notorious for poor educational outcomes. The school in Oregon is no exception -- our school has a dubious reputation of being one of the worst -- a 4th grade reading level for graduating Seniors across the nation is the norm -- I shudder to think what it may be here in Oregon. By the same token, mainstream programs, while not perfect, have significantly better educational outcomes, accomplished with a far less economic cost to society.

4) The wisdom of having deaf children raised by lowly paid state employees at a state residential school instead of at home with their own parents must be revisited. Surely, in ANY educational setting, parents are often the key to success. Without daily parential guidence, a educational program like this can at best be mediocre.

5) Sex abuse is out of control at residential deaf schools across the nation -- Oregon is no exception. Indeed, newspaper reports documents accusation down at the Salem school. Just a few weeks ago, the superintendent of the nearby Washington school for the deaf was fired over sex abuse issues. Does the state of Oregon even want to be in the sex policing business?

6) Residential schools are incompatible with emerging technology -- especially with cochlear implants (CIs). There are now more kids with CIs nationwide than kids attending schools for the deaf. CI experts will tell you that residential schools for the deaf are the worst possible place for CI kids -- these kids must be immersed in an environment of sound, voices and the English language, NOT silence, isolation and American sign language (ASL).

Should a proposal to close the Salem school be brought forth, we will hear from ASL advocates about how closing the school amounts to "destruction" of deaf "culture", and their "language", but before we are swayed by this, keep an eye on the bottom line: can we afford $50,000 a year PER DEAF CHILD to preserve a culture? Further, we must ask if it is even the burden of the Oregon taxpayer in the first place to provide a "culture" for the deaf.

Residential school enrollments across the nation has been declining since the 1970's and school closure are occurring -- Massachusetts, Wyoming and North Carolina have closed a residential school. Many are considered each year -- but all to often the legislators hesitiate. There may have been a time and place for these schools but clearly that time has passed.

Yes, closing the state school for the deaf will bring some short-term disruptions for some kids, but in the long term, deaf kids of the future will do better nearly anywhere else than at the Salem school. Besides, with the failure of Measure 28, the taxpayers gave the legislators a mandate to cut the fat from the state budget -- more viable and certainly more economical educational alternatives already exist for deaf kids in the state, so lets cut the fat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:09 PM
Post #2 | Print

Guests

surprisingly, rep krummel contacted me right away and said he has shown the letter around to his colleagues and ask that I testify at a budget hearing. I said I'd be happy to. I hadn't heard anything since.

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #3 | Print

Guests

until today.

I heard from my "team of experts" that apparently the deaf militants are in an uproar to prevent my idea from becoming a bonafied bill!

here's a sample email:

Renwick Dayton mentioned at last night OHHADA meeting that a deaf person had
suggested to Rep. Krummel that to save money they should consider closing
OSD. Apparently Rep. Krummel is exploring the merits of this idea and is
looking for support to possibly make this an Education Committee Bill. It is
important that you let him and the members of the education committee know
that you do not think this is a good idea and why. It is important that they
drop this idea before it becomes a Bill. There are three different Education
Committees so you may want to contact all three.

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #4 | Print

Guests

YOUR HELP NEEDED!

please drop a short email or a quick call to some (or all) of these legislators why they ought to take what the militants will say with a grain of salt. by clsoing (or phasing out) the oregon deaf school, we can set in motion a domino effect to close schools across the nation!

THANK YOU!!!

Representative Jerry Krummel
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1426
900 Court St. NE H-486,
Salem Or 97301

Email Address: rep.jerrykrummel@state.or.us

Web page Address: <http://www.leg.state.or.us/krummel/home.htm>

Committee:
Education (H) Office:
453 Committee Phone:
503-986-1644 E-Mail:
jim.keller@state.or.us Committee Fax:503-986-1814

Committee Members Position Phone
Avakian, Brad Member 503-986-1434
Backlund, Vic Chair 503-986-1425
Dalto, Billy Member 503-986-1421
Farr, Pat Vice-Chair 503-986-1414
Hopson, Elaine M Nolan, Mary Member 503-986-1436
Scott, Wayne Member 503-986-1439

Committee:
Education (J) Office:
H-178 Committee Phone:
503-986-1828
Committee Fax:
503-373-7807
Bates, Alan C Member 503-986-1405
Gordly, Avel Member 503-986-1723
Messerle, Ken Member 503-986-1705
Morgan, Susan Chair 503-986-1402
Smith, Tootie Member 503-986-1418

Committee:
Education (S) Office:
334 Committee Phone:
503-986-1635 E-Mail:
janet.e.mccomb@state.or.us
Deckert, Ryan Vice-Chair 503-986-1714
Ferrioli, Ted Member 503-986-1730
Morrisette, Bill Member 503-986-1706
Starr, Charles Chair 503-986-1713

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #5 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.75
Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Thu Jul 19, 2018, 08:01 PM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 210

My Blog

'nuff said.

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #6 | Print

Guests

further comments from one of my friends . . .

CNN had the female governor of Arizona on television today, and she said
that the fastest-growing part of the education budget in all states is
Special Education. All of the states are looking for ways to save money.
It is obvious that the residential institutions are out of date, they
are doing no good for any deaf child, and they should all be closed,
particularly since the ADA forbids segregated education, and most
particularly because those places don't actually educate anyone.

It is time to start a national initiative to contact people like those
in the article below, and blast them with facts, figures, data and
support for closing the state residential institutions.

The only people they hear from are the ASL interpreters who want free
government money, and those illiterate deaf "teachers" and "residence
hall managers" who can't get jobs elsewhere and who also want free
government money. Those places are sheltered workshops, and must be
closed. In all states, these places are NOT under regular education
department criteria or standards -- they are under either the health
department or the social services division as "state residential
institutions," with similar legislation to state mental institutions,
state hospitals and state prisons.

If you and others are going to take action, then this is the perfect
time to do it.

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #7 | Print

Guests

Just who is the militant behind all this?

Carolyn Dubler, prelingually deaf, mother
of a prelingually deaf son, and she went to a residential institution
(CSDR, California) and now she lives in Oregon. Her email is
kin19@bendnet.com.

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Sat Mar 15, 2003, 07:00 AM
Post #8 | Print

No ALIAS until January 2005!!! EEK!
Group Icon

Posts per day: 1.34
Topics Started: 376
User's local time:
Thu Jul 19, 2018, 10:01 PM
Member No.: 5

With delight, I will email on your behalf and the behalf of all future deafies! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'll contact my other deafie friends too!

Sherry <---- who will email AND snail mail

+Quote Post
Mark B.
post Sat Mar 15, 2003, 09:30 AM
Post #9 | Print

CI-Borgs Rule!
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.71
Topics Started: 48
User's local time:
Thu Jul 19, 2018, 05:01 PM
Member No.: 222

My Blog

I'm pleading ignorance here...but is the OSD the one that had the abusive teacher?

I'm astounded that it costs $50k per year per student at OSD. I'm hoping Oregon gets a good "product" after that student graduates!!! And I mean G-O-O-D!! But, it is apparent from Jake's posts that it's not the case there.

Sad.

I'm not braggin', but Hawaii School for the Deaf is a pretty good school. Their graduates have gone on to bigger and better things. However, there is NO WAY that it costs $50k per student there. More like $30K, including boarding costs.

Mark

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Sat Mar 15, 2003, 09:50 AM
Post #10 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Please keep us up to date on all necessary urls, etc. We will do what we can!

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Sat Mar 15, 2003, 09:54 AM
Post #11 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Mark, ALL residential schools are alike. But.........................

I am not saying that the Hawaii school is the same. In Hawaii everything is open and it is alot more difficult for the students to do any sneaking around. Here on the Mainland we have so many dark hallways, walls and thick woods! And alot of the staff would prefer to be warm friends with the kids rather than advisors and role models. Some of these staff people are really sick. Trust me, it is bad! Most of them would not even have a job if it wasn't for the residential aspect of the school.

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Sat Mar 15, 2003, 11:15 AM
Post #12 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.57
Topics Started: 66
User's local time:
Member No.: 297

Sorry, I'm not from Oregon.. I'd love to help, believe me. Not surprising to see that it's somebody from CSDR causing problems. CSDR and CSDF are both breeding grounds for ASL militants and they both sicken me.

+Quote Post
Mark B.
post Sat Mar 15, 2003, 12:16 PM
Post #13 | Print

CI-Borgs Rule!
Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Originally posted by Lantana
Mark, ALL residential schools are alike.  But.........................

I am not saying that the Hawaii school is the same.   In Hawaii everything is open and it is alot more difficult for the students to do any sneaking around.   Here on the Mainland we have so many dark hallways, walls and thick woods!    And alot of the staff would prefer to be warm friends with the kids rather than advisors and role models.    Some of these staff people are really sick.  Trust me, it is bad!   Most of them would not even have a job if it wasn't for the residential aspect of the school.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed, Lantana. I appreciate it! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Why in Hades would anybody put a residential school out in the boonies, for cryin' out loud!!! Hawaii's school is smack dab in the middle of downtown...so, you're right...nobody can "sneak around".

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Sat Mar 15, 2003, 08:38 PM
Post #14 | Print

Guests

wiggums, feel free to email the committee "as a deaf person". all you have to say is "look at the evidence, not the rhectoric.

an "in depth" argument is not really needed as legislators just need to know the deaf don't agree among themselves.

if oregon tumbles, california legislators will have precenent to follow . . .

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Sat Mar 15, 2003, 08:44 PM
Post #15 | Print

Guests

mark, the $50,000 figure is a conservative number, documented in research reports. Oregon's cost may be $87,000 per kid or more, unfortunately the state of Oregon combinds the cost of the blind and deaf schools even though they are two separate schools, so splitting the cost down the middle, its $87,000. (the school for the blind is supposed to be smaller too).

you might want to check on Hawaii's actual cost -- if they have a residential side, no matter how small, it will cost more than the education side -- 24 hour supervision, health, food, etc adds up quicker than just teachers on site for 8 hours a day.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Sun Mar 16, 2003, 01:26 AM
Post #16 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

that the Oregon and Washington schools are out in the boonies. They are not. But there are plenty of places for the kids to go to find some privacy. At one time one of the TEACHERS who had an apartment nearby provided a rendevous (spl?) for some of the students! In this day and age the man would have been arrested, but at the time the whole thing was swept under rug when the teacher volunteered to retire.

One incident not too long ago, one of the staff members knew of an affair between a student and a fellow staff member who was much older, but it was all kept under wraps. It only came out when the student sued the school!

The residential schools are ridiculous and outmoded. We are not living in the dark ages when all "defective youth" were hid away by themselves. Today it is cool to be handicapped, everyone accepts it.

Actually, the name for the Washington Deaf School used to be "State School for Defective Youth". I have pictures from an old album (before my time!) to prove it!

+Quote Post
Mark B.
post Sun Mar 16, 2003, 08:25 AM
Post #17 | Print

CI-Borgs Rule!
Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Holy Political Incorrectness, Lantana!! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/eek.gif) That's barbaric!!!

Mark (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Headin' back to the Bat-cave...

+Quote Post
deafgrrrl
post Thu Mar 27, 2003, 06:08 PM
Post #18 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.03
Topics Started: 1
User's local time:
Fri Jul 20, 2018, 03:01 AM
Member No.: 260

Jake, I doubt that your letter will work. It is filled with inflamatory remarks and no real hardcore facts. The legislature would be better off cutting corparate welfare.
I don't doubt that it's expensive to run a deaf school.
It is. However from what I have learned MOST kids who go there are ones with severe handicaps and a handful of deafies who have fallen through the cracks at their mainstream schools.
Kids with severe handicaps cost A LOT to educate. They need specialized equipment(that costs a lot of money such as standers and commuication devices like Dynavox) and teachers and that costs a hell of a lot of money! Of the extreme special needs kids who live at school, I would hazard a guess that most of them cannot be cared for at home. I'm all for community inclusion but, there are some kids who are so severely affected that they cannot live at home.
Second of all, NO deaf schools should be closed until state colleges start requiring ALL future teachers to take courses on how to teach kids with classic disabilties. Most teachers just recieve training on how to teach kids with learning disabilties. Unfortunatly, any kids with classic disabilties in the mainstream do not always get appropreate services and very often they are the victims of the highly negative attitudes in the mainstream against any kid who recieves sped services. You have NO IDEA what sped kids in the mainstream go through! It's no wonder some kids decide to drop out or go to special schools!
Third of all, MOST deaf people, no matter whether they use speech or sign have poor reading skills. It's not just people who" function too poorly" to use spoken English. There are some oral deaf who are good readers, but there are also Deaf people who are well-educated and good readers.
I am not defending res schools.....I'm just saying that I think there is room for improvement in ALL areas of special ed for kids with disabilties. I think that a res school might be a halfway decent alternative if things were improved a little. I mean there are always going to be kids with severe disabilties who can't be educated at a mainstream school, there are always going to be kids who fell through the cracks (and quite frankly I think that the main reason for many res school grads low acheivement is that they didn't get services needed in their home district and they were just socially promoted b/c the schools didn't know what to do with them, so they just fell through the cracks and did not receive needed services until they came to the deaf school! )

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Thu Mar 27, 2003, 06:22 PM
Post #19 | Print

Guests

grrl, actually, it has worked. a number of legislators are looking into the costs already. the call is theirs. if they think the school is worth the cost (or not worth the wrath of the deaf community), they can make that call. I'll just know that I did my part.

the weakest argument for residential schools is the residential side -- WHY? What good argument is there for separating parents from children? Even Children Services hate to do this. The "distance" argument is a cop out. If you kicked out all the kids that live in big towns or near the school, you'd not have enough kids to have the school in the first place, see.

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Thu Mar 27, 2003, 06:24 PM
Post #20 | Print

Guests

"no real hardcore facts".

wrong! all the facts for all the arguments are in balkany et al 1996. (I've told the legislators of this source.)

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Deaf Students Reading and Writing in College: Fluency, Coherence, and Comprehension
0 NetScout 4,663 11th June 2016 - 02:56 AM
Last post by: NetScout
No New Posts Deaf Adolescents' Learning of Cardiovascular Health Information: Sources and Access Challenges
0 NetScout 6,845 31st August 2015 - 07:15 AM
No New Posts Deaf Native Signers Are Better Readers Than Nonnative Signers: Myth or Truth?
0 NetScout 6,394 19th March 2015 - 09:26 AM
No New Posts Deaf Parents of Cochlear-Implanted Children: Beliefs on Bimodal Bilingualism
0 NetScout 6,552 13th January 2015 - 08:37 AM
No New Posts Deaf Students' Receptive and Expressive American Sign Language Skills: Comparisons and Relations
0 NetScout 5,834 27th August 2014 - 10:39 AM

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 08:01 PM