Group Icon

Group: Banned
Posts per day: 0.05
Topics Started: 6
User's local time:
Mon Aug 26, 2019, 03:08 AM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 517

Single (Based only on my observations here of your posts, I'd say you would be hard to get along with. You come off as arrogant, abrasive, and argumentative.)
Well, when I was asking about my family status, I was actually talking about . . . am I a CODA, am I a hearing parent of a deaf child, deaf parent of a deaf child, etc. I will tell you that I am married to someone with whom I argue no more than any of my friends argue with their spouses and have two children.

I don't think I have been arrogant OR abrasive and if you've taken it that way, it was not meant in that way. I'd like to see an example of where you think I was being that way. Almost everything I have said here is fact and has been proven so (PLEASE note the word 'ALMOST').

As far as being argumentative, ummmmm . . . is that cuz I'm disagreeing with the people who are saying ASL is not a true language and English cannot be effectively taught through ASL? So, yes, I AM arguing with them. Does that mean I AM an argumentative person? Not necessarily.

The fact that you seem to bring this up a lot in your posts makes me feel you are insecure about this and you need to prove it by "showing off" your linguistic skills.

I have only brought it up in my posts twice, both times to state that IF I am deaf and was brought up on ASL, THEN I am disproving everyone's point. I am not "showing off" my skills; I simply enjoy using them.

You shouldn't disrespect others for having a different opinion than yours. It's ok to share your thoughts and ideas but try to be a bit more diplomatic. . .
I have NOT ever in ANY of my posts disrespected someone for their opinion. I have disagreed with them and pointed out where their point has been disproven, but I challenge you to bring up ONE instance in which I disrespected or insulted someone. Quite the contrary, I am the one who was called a 'militant idiot' and others have belittled ASL.

. . . and keep your posts succinct.

My posts are succinct when the other posts dictate so. If I feel the need to post a lengthy reply, there are no rules against that and I will do so. You are under no obligation to read them.

Wig, you are making some very big assumptions and I would suggest you do some investigating into D/deaf professionals before you make your statements. Some names to start with - Steve Hlibok, Greg Hlibok, Phil Bravin, A**** Corson, I. King Jordan, Kelby Brick, Harold Diamond, Michael Schwartz . . . there are MANY more.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Mon May 3, 2004, 03:28 PM
Post #102 | Print

Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.53
Topics Started: 66
User's local time:
Mon Aug 26, 2019, 02:08 AM
Member No.: 297

The names you mentioned - MANY of them are in the public sector or working for the government. Can't you try better than that?

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Mon May 3, 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #103 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.70
Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Member No.: 210

My Blog

(IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/confused1.gif) Oh boy! This is becoming more and more weird (this thread).

"IGirl" did not diss me. (But thanks for the support, anyway). I did not mentioned anything about "practice" because I KNOW that with ASL "just practice" does not make perfect. You must LIVE the life of a deaf person before you can begin to act upon it. True ASL comes to very few unless they were born into it.

Peeps who are taking ASL in college, those peeps who have never lived, worked or loved a deaf person, are kidding themselves. Please consider another vocation (for our sakes and your's). You are probably wasting your time (and ours).

While I listen to and (respect) Wiggums, I suspect that he is dealing with other handicaps other than deafness. For some reason he feels the need to exert his beliefs even tho they have been proven faulty and weak. 'Being "sucessful" in work does not necessarilyy mean being sucessful in play. A deaf person in a hearing world is always lonely no matter how much they deny it. Being left out is not fun!

I understand that this forum is for deaf peeps -- of all kinds. ALL ASL, SEE, Cued, peeps etc. etc. should be able to have a voice here. "Can't we just all get along?"

(IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Mon May 3, 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #104 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Actually, I don't have any other handicaps (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Except I can be a real as***le!

Taz knows me quite well. I know you're having a hard time believing I'm profoundly deaf who spends most of his time with hearing folks. I know it's quite rare, but that's the way it is. I work, and do play. Most Wednesdays, we're at the cigar place, and Fridays, we're at the pool hall playing pool, and Saturdays (or Sundays), it's poker. I found my niche - we all have similar hobbies. Of course, I wish they were deaf, but they're alright. They won't take ASL though - no interest.

+Quote Post
Linden
post Mon May 3, 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #105 | Print

computer geek - student - grandma
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.04
Topics Started: 11
User's local time:
Mon Aug 26, 2019, 04:08 AM
Member No.: 508

Now I am surely curious about IG's hearing status .... just nosy I guess LOL (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Mon May 3, 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #106 | Print

Group Icon

Group: Banned
Posts per day: 0.05
Topics Started: 6
User's local time:
Mon Aug 26, 2019, 03:08 AM
Member No.: 517

The names you mentioned - MANY of them are in the public sector or working for the government.
What the HECK is wrong with working in the public sector???? Do you realize how many hearing people work in the public sector? Why do you attach stigma to working in the public sector? Working in the public sector can be very rewarding and if you don't make a six-figure income, . . . SO??? There's more to life than that.

BTW, I forgot to mention Marlee Matlin, Terrylene, Ed Waterstreet, Linda Bove . . .

Peeps who are taking ASL in college, those peeps who have never lived, worked or loved a deaf person, are kidding themselves. Please consider another vocation (for our sakes and your's). You are probably wasting your time (and ours).

Lantana, I thank you immensely for your support. I was going to disagree with this statement until I read it again and you are right. A hearing person must make a commitment to the deaf community and ASL or they cannot truly work with Deaf people and provide the quality of service they deserve, whether that service is interpreting, audiology, teaching, advocacy, law, medicine, etc. It's just not possible if one is on the outskirts of the community.

Of course, I wish they were deaf, but they're alright. They won't take ASL though - no interest.

This statement says it all. I notice that nowhere in this post do you call them your FRIENDS. They're 'hearing folks' and you "wish they were deaf" and they're 'alright'. You all have similar hobbies and you're AT the pool hall and you're AT the cigar place and IT'S poker; you're just THERE and . . . what? When I go somewhere or do something with my friends, I don't wish they were something they're not (and never will be) and we DO something and I DEFINITELY don't hang out with people who have no interest in knowing who I truly am. When Lantana said you were dealing with other 'handicaps', he wasn't talking about physical or mental ones.

For the record . . . I'm hearing.

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Mon May 3, 2004, 09:01 PM
Post #107 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

There's nothing wrong with working in the public sector, but most "successful" deaf people I know of work in the public sector, not the more competitive and better paying private sector. You seem to fool yourself into thinking deaf people have it great and that all's well. Not so. I have both hearing and deaf friends, but deaf people live so far away from here because it's very expensive here. I have also noticed that many of my deaf classmates and deaf friends have moved out of the state for better opportunities. Strangely enough, all of my hearing friends have stayed around here and bought their homes.

Marlee Matlin, Terrylene.. so what, there's Brad Pitt, Jennifer Anniston, all hearing, what's your point? You also forgot the numerous deaf people who are on government support. Conveniently forgot is more appropriate. You fail to consider how so FEW deaf people make it. That is why I strongly believe one should explore all options to restore the infant's hearing. If the deafness is incurable, then that's when one should explore sign language. That was long the point here.

Did you also notice I call my deaf friends "folks" too, not just hearing friends? My best friend is hearing ñ born 1 day after me, and for the past 20 years, we've always had our birthdays together. The point is: I like poker and pool. It so happens my friends like playing poker and pool. We have something we like doing. They also keep me up to date with everything and I appreciate that. Some took up finger spelling, but have stopped doing that since I don't really require it.

+Quote Post
Mark B.
post Mon May 3, 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #108 | Print

CI-Borgs Rule!
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.66
Topics Started: 48
User's local time:
Sun Aug 25, 2019, 11:08 PM
Member No.: 222

My Blog

QUOTE (Tousi @ May 1 2004, 07:15 PM)
Well, Mark, her "lengthy" replies are dictated by equally "lengthy" posts and if a poster feels compelled to respond to all of the points because she disagrees with em, then its gonna be a long reply.....there's no rule against it and to admonish someone for it isn't right--just don't read the long ones if you don't wanna. Now, that said, what I'd REALLY like to know, is what's the REAL reason for the objection? The poster makes too much sense? Goes against the grain of what has been your life and you don't understand it and mumble something about long posts, diarrhea of the mouth, etc? If this gets out of hand and gets locked up, it will be an all-too-familiar refrain(from a certain other forum) and I hope what I've just said will prevent this from happening. Good night.....

Tou "we need to be unnerved from our comfort zone occasionally" si

Ok, I stand overruled. As you all were... (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mark (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) <--- Hey, even NFL referees get the blues now 'n then.... (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Boult
post Mon May 3, 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #109 | Print

I.T.M.F.A.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Posts per day: 0.74
Topics Started: 854
User's local time:
Member No.: 2

My Blog

(IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/offtopic.gif) (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/offtopic.gif) (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/offtopic.gif)

closing this thread...

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Sign Vocabulary in Deaf Toddlers Exposed to Sign Language Since Birth
0 NetScout 2,612 16th June 2014 - 06:23 AM
Last post by: NetScout
No New Posts Signed Soliloquy: Visible Private Speech
0 NetScout 3,361 14th March 2013 - 12:12 PM
No New Posts Signed Language Working Memory Capacity of Signed Language Interpreters and Deaf Signers
0 NetScout 3,375 14th March 2013 - 12:12 PM
No New Posts Language Planning for the 21st Century: Revisiting Bilingual Language Policy for Deaf Children
0 NetScout 4,065 25th June 2012 - 08:28 AM
No New Posts Sign Language Users' Education and Employment Levels: Keeping Pace with Changes in the General Australian Population?
0 NetScout 3,835 19th May 2011 - 10:07 AM

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2019 - 02:08 AM