Post #1 | Print

Group: New Member
Posts per day: 0.00
Topics Started: 1
User's local time:
Thu Nov 14, 2019, 12:15 PM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 1,020

hi, all! i'm new here, so i'll quick inroduce myself. My name's katie; i'm not deaf, but my first language was ASL and my grandparents, aunt, and uncles are deaf. Now i'm in college working on a major project to put together sort of a people's history of the first 100 years of the clarke school for the deaf. you know, the whole deal: the good, the bad and the ugly. My aunt and two uncles went t the school in the 30's and 40's. i think it's important to have a history of the school as told by historical documents, and interviews from past students, and not by propaganda of varying degrees from either side of the oralist/manualist debate (which is, unfortunately, a massive amount of the information availabe).

i'm not quite in the interview phase yet, though it's coming up quick. right now i'm looking in archives and such. i just recently found out about the babbidge report, but i can't seem to find a copy of it anywhere. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/confused1.gif) i'm probably just looking in the wrong places, but i was wondering if anyone might be able to point me on the right track.

that's all. hope all of you are doing well, in good health and such. if anyone has any other suggestions for where i might find other relevant information, please let me know. i need all the help i can get!

thank you,
katie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Boult
post Mon Oct 24, 2005, 05:49 PM
Post #2 | Print

I.T.M.F.A.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Posts per day: 0.73
Topics Started: 854
User's local time:
Thu Nov 14, 2019, 09:15 AM
Member No.: 2

My Blog

I am not familiar with babbidge report so can't help. how about contacting NTID or Gallaudet to see if they have anything on it?

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #3 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.69
Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Member No.: 210

My Blog

That is exactly what I thought, Boult. 'Never heard of it, but I am more than willing to learn!

+Quote Post
katie b
post Wed Oct 26, 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #4 | Print

Group: New Member
Posts per day: 0.00
Topics Started: 1
User's local time:
Member No.: 1,020

the babbidge report, from what i've been able to gather without ever actually having read it, was a report commissioned by the Secretart of Health, Education and Welfare (HEW) and it was submitted in Feb 1965. It was to explore the lack of public services to the deaf and hard of hearing. It was written by Homer Babbidge, who was (i'm not sure when) the president of UConn for a while.

The report found oralism to be a "dismal failure," and out of the report came Public Law 94-142, the Education for All Handicapped Children Act. Another thing that resulted from the report was Public Law 89-36, the National Technical Institute for the Deaf Act, which of course became NTID, in RIT.

There seems to be a copy of it at Gallaudet, and there might be a copy at UConn or NTID, i'm not sure. My mother just sent me some leads, and i'm still following up on them. It's amazing how difficult it can be to track down one transcript! in the end, i think i'm going to have to travel to find it, but i'm hoping they have it in Boston or Connecticut, which are a lot closer to me than DC.

i'll be sure to post more when i find this thing, and i'll certainly post a link if i'm able to find it online (although that's looking less and less likely).

thanks!
katie

+Quote Post
Boult
post Wed Oct 26, 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #5 | Print

I.T.M.F.A.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Posts per day: 0.73
Topics Started: 854
User's local time:
Member No.: 2

My Blog

Well there's mention of that title at http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/ehdi/history.htm

see the reference at the bottom.

it seems to be hosted at CDC (Center for Disease Control) server so why not ask them?

but the source point to US Government Printing Office so .. here's the url;
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/

I see lots of results on Google.com using this keyword "Babbidge Report" but I don't see full text of the report but the title "Babbidge Report" is short for "Education of the Deaf in the United States: Report of the Advisory Committee on Education of the Deaf." by Babbidge in 1965

hope you have any luck.. cheers!

+Quote Post
LittlePitty
post Wed Oct 26, 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #6 | Print

Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.69
Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Member No.: 27

My Blog

The Babbidge report found that children who were identified later in life with hearing loss/deafness were far poorer educationally than those who were identified early on. The Babbidge report was instrumental in advocating for early identification though it took nearly 35 years to implement.

P.L. 94-142 (now known as IDEA) came about 10 years later (1975) and as far as I know has no connection with the Babbidge report. PL 94-142 was not written exclusively for deaf kids it was written so that all children with handicaps had access to a free and appropriate education, not just deaf ones.

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Report of a Deaf Child With Tourette's Disorder
0 NetScout 1,866 14th June 2013 - 09:42 AM
Last post by: NetScout
No New Posts Report: As 2006 Deadline Looms Broadcast Captioning Reaches Crisis Point
0 NetScout 2,874 10th September 2005 - 01:12 AM
Last post by: NetScout
No New Posts REPORT: As 2006 Deadline Looms Broadcast
Captioning Reaches Crisis Point
2 Boult 4,978 9th September 2005 - 05:15 PM
Last post by: Lantana
No New Posts Report: Princess To Send Dog To Shrink
3 Nancy 3,028 5th January 2004 - 07:14 PM
Last post by: Lantana
No New Posts Report: Man Charged in Foot-Licking
4 Nancy 4,968 6th May 2003 - 12:41 AM
Last post by: Tousi