IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
If You Had To Choose ...., guidance for terps and terp wannabes
If you needed/wanted an interpreter and you had to choose, what would your preference be?
If you needed/wanted an interpreter and you had to choose, what would your preference be?
impeccable ethics but less strong interp skills [ 7 ] ** [63.64%]
questionable or unknown ethics but excellent interp skills [ 4 ] ** [36.36%]
Total Votes: 11
Guests cannot vote 
Linden
post Thu Jun 17, 2004, 01:46 PM
Post #1 | Print

computer geek - student - grandma
Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.04
Topics Started: 11
User's local time:
Sat Nov 16, 2019, 11:18 PM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 508

This is a question that we have been discussing at my terp school, thought some input from "real life" might be valuable ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Thu Jun 17, 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #2 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.52
Topics Started: 66
User's local time:
Sat Nov 16, 2019, 09:18 PM
Member No.: 297

I wouldn't be too concerned about ethics because I have no friends who are interpreters. In fact, I usually keep myself superficial with them, although they all probably know me from my court appearances.

I swear I had no idea the girl was 13!

But of course, rumours are going to go on and on for a long time.

+Quote Post
Mark B.
post Thu Jun 17, 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #3 | Print

CI-Borgs Rule!
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.65
Topics Started: 48
User's local time:
Sat Nov 16, 2019, 06:18 PM
Member No.: 222

My Blog

Without ethics, all the interpreting skills in the world won't save your derriere in court, in the doctor's office, or anywhere else.

You'd best be a channel of communication without injecting your belief set into it.

Mark (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/coolio.gif)

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Thu Jun 17, 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #4 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.69
Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Member No.: 210

My Blog

Living out in the toolies has it's disadvantages, good interpreters is one of them. The local interpreter happens to be a friend of mine, so the situation is not 100% comfortable at all times. She is not certified and does not "read" that well.

Mostly I need her for City Council meetings -- which are certainly not life or death! They might make your life miserable but they won't kill you. (Not yet, anyway!)

+Quote Post
Southern Belle
post Thu Jun 17, 2004, 05:49 PM
Post #5 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.42
Topics Started: 157
User's local time:
Sat Nov 16, 2019, 08:18 PM
Member No.: 25

ethics are more important because even though their interp skills are less strong, there's always the chance their skills will improve!

s'belle

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Thu Jun 24, 2004, 04:22 AM
Post #6 | Print

Group Icon

Group: Banned
Posts per day: 0.05
Topics Started: 6
User's local time:
Sat Nov 16, 2019, 10:18 PM
Member No.: 517

Ethics aren't only for during the interpreting job.

Ethics will also prevent your ex-husband knowing that you just got a promotion and a $10,000 a year raise and he can now cut his alimony payments in half.

Ethics will prevent the interpreter who interpreted for you at work telling your friends about your latest vacation with your spouse from telling the SSI rep you are now sitting in front of that you and your spouse are NOT separated like you just said.

Ethics will prevent the interpreter you see at Deaf Happy Hour from looking puzzled when you claim you were let off for assault . . . cuz wearing an ankle monitor!!

I would really hope for an interpret with both, because without one, you don't know what information you're getting and - depending on the situation - your life, health, finances, family or career can be ruined. Without the other, you don't know who's going to find out what and your life can be ruined.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Thu Jun 24, 2004, 09:05 AM
Post #7 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

What you said is exactly why I seldom use an interpreter.

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Thu Jun 24, 2004, 11:45 AM
Post #8 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

It sounds like where you live you don't have many qualified OR certified interpreters. If you do and you just don't take advantage of their services, that's a shame. When every interpreter becomes a member of RID, they sign an oath to follow the RID Code of Ethics, which includes keeping identifying information confidential. If you're going to use their services, you have to trust that they're going to stick to that oath. If they don't, you have recourse through RID. If you don't want to take that risk, then you do the best you can without interpreting services. Just pray that you never get into a situation where the best you can do isn't good enough.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Thu Jun 24, 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #9 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

.......Still praying. I can take care of myself. I do not need or want an interpreter. If I want (or need) one I know where to go. I have gotten thus far without help and I will continue to do so. I have taken advantage of the Law and used interpreters occasionally, but knowing what I know now, why bother?

>>The deaf grapevine is extremely efficient. Don't ever forget that.<<

Somehow, somewhere, I acquired the feeling that interpreters look down on us. They get off on "helping" a subculture. They do not seem to know that THEY are the subculture.

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Fri Jun 25, 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #10 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Like I said, it is an individual's decision how to live their life.

I keep getting told here that no one statement covers all deaf people. The same can be said for any group. Not all Jewish people are greedy, not all Black people are gang members and not all Asian people are math and science whizzes. There are plenty of ethical interpreters out there who do not look down on deaf people. The majority of interpreters I encounter are not maternalistic types who want to help and I warn my students right from ASL 101 that if they want to HELP deaf people, they should not become an interpreter because we are not helpers, but they should become a therapist or an advocate.

<<I can take care of myself>>
I never said you couldn't and so can the people for whom I interpret. Just because they use an interpreter doesn't mean they can't and I resent the implication - especially since you don't know me from Eve and have never seen me interpret or spoken to anyone for whom I've interpreted - that I "take care" of my consumers. I'm sorry you've obviously had lousy experience with unprofessional interpreters, but dint lump us all together.

Hearing professionals who work with deaf people are not a subculture. We are a group of professionals, just like doctors and lawyers and teachers. We have our own "language" in the form of jargon, but that doesn't make us a subculture.

+Quote Post
HelloKittyGal
post Sat Jun 26, 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #11 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.03
Topics Started: 25
User's local time:
Sun Nov 17, 2019, 12:18 AM
Member No.: 592

I am much happier when interpreters follow the code of ethics completely strict or as close as possible. You get into so much trouble if you don't do so. That was the case for me. I think they need to take yearly or so reviews to stick to the ethics and memorize them. Interpreters don't know everything. Lantana said she doesn't need terps all the time, so you said "shame" she doesn't take advantage of them. What for? She only request them when she sees fit.

I have had times where I said I didn't need a terp. At one time I got into trouble because I was pissed at the interpreter for some reason that I don't recall. Then I was in the office, and I told the principal I don't need her, and he demanded her to stay because he was a coward who couldn't deal 'with a deaf person.' I know they broke the rule there. I was watching him the whole time where the interpreter, like a fool, signed to a ghost like a crazy insane mental patient. The reason there were times when I didn't want her was because it's none of her business, and I know they take what they hear and babbles it to the tutor and someone else. That's why I never requested them for private matters, they just can't (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/STFU.gif)

(IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) , interpreters who claim they know so much and take control--bah..

This post has been edited by HelloKittyGal: Sat Jun 26, 2004, 11:57 PM

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Sun Jun 27, 2004, 09:33 AM
Post #12 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Kitty, I think you and I are alike in some ways, I need alot of space! And I let very few people in. Interpreters invade our space. There are very few terps I would hire if I needed one and they are all CODAS.

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Sun Jun 27, 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #13 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

This is an example of what I've been talking about. "Interpreters invade our space." How can you make a blanket statement like that? ALL interpreters do not invade the space of their consumers. If you feel you can make that kind of statement, then most of the interpreters you've had experience with (CODA's excluded obviously) are not very good or very ethical interpreters. I feel sorry for the experiences you've had with interpreters.

+Quote Post
Linden
post Sun Jun 27, 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #14 | Print

computer geek - student - grandma
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.04
Topics Started: 11
User's local time:
Sat Nov 16, 2019, 11:18 PM
Member No.: 508

I admire these women for being very independent and feisty. Everybody has different space needs. I need a lot too, so I can relate to that. If they are happy and doing fine without terps, more power to them. I would/will probably be a lot like them, I would be loathe to have to involve a third party in my business, even if they could be totally confidential, because the logistics would no doubt make it all so darn SLOW!!! I will eventually probably need terps in critical situations, such as medical stuff. But I probably will never really look forward to it.

+Quote Post
LittlePitty
post Mon Jun 28, 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #15 | Print

Group Icon

Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Member No.: 27

My Blog

QUOTE (IzzisGirl @ Jun 27 2004, 10:00 PM)
This is an example of what I've been talking about. "Interpreters invade our space." How can you make a blanket statement like that? ALL interpreters do not invade the space of their consumers. If you feel you can make that kind of statement, then most of the interpreters you've had experience with (CODA's excluded obviously) are not very good or very ethical interpreters. I feel sorry for the experiences you've had with interpreters.

Let's just assume that you are in a foreign country and you must have an interpreter for everything (okay, maybe not the potty!), How would you feel IG? Just try and walking in their shoes for a moment. I know when I was in Puerto Rico doing a job and had to have an interpreter all the time I felt uncomfortable. I speak limited Spanish and still wasn't always postive they interpreted what I said. On occasion I worked with one of our bilingual techs who I had a working relationship with and felt much more at ease with him then an interpreter. Try not to take it so personally..it's not you!

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Mon Jun 28, 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #16 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Bravo, LP! "Walking in another person's mocs". The only place I ever felt comfortable WITH AN INTERPRETER was in an educational setting. The rest of the time I felt invaded.

If there was an alternative to an interpreter, I would take it in a second!

+Quote Post
HelloKittyGal
post Tue Jun 29, 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #17 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.03
Topics Started: 25
User's local time:
Member No.: 592

Lantana, there kind of is LOL, but it's a computer thing that translate people's speech into words on a laptop. It's in the Harris Communication Catalog. It's expensive! LOL I would have chosen it in a second too back in school. I was day dreaming what i'd be like to have that laptop computer program! Did you know it was invented by a deaf boy?

There's now a little glove thingy invented by a deaf student that when you sign (sorry, but only by spelling), it will talk whatever you sign by spelling. Many deaf people do which to be on their own!

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Wed Jun 30, 2004, 09:29 AM
Post #18 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Kitty, I thank my lucky stars and bless high tech every day! Wow, you can imagine, I went from NOTHING to C.C., Relay, etc. etc. People are always complaining about cc and Relay, they should feel fortunate to have them and not complain.

You have such a wonderful outlook on all of this and all of us here appreciate your being a DOL-er!

I served jury duty twice. Once with 2 interpreters and once with a "court reporter machine" assigned to me. Actually to tell the absolute truth, I liked the machine the best, it forced me to pay attention and read carefully, while with the terps, I had a tendency to space out! Also the woman who was manning the machine stuck in little tidbits every now and then that made the time by go by faster.

I stick by my theory that only CODAs make good interpreters. They were born into it and ASL was their first language!

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2019 - 09:18 PM