Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.01
Topics Started: 3
User's local time:
Tue Jun 25, 2019, 03:42 AM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 1,613

Here is an article I posted yesterday on All Deaf which resulted in me getting banned for a month. Seems I broke one of the cardinal rules of All Deaf by posting something positive about cochlear implants!!!!

Walk-on guard hears taunts just fine
Submitted by Nick Kosmider on December 8, 2011 - 4:49pm Contrary to national media accounts that surfaced Wednesday morning, walk-on guard Luke Adams heard the Justin Bieber taunts emanating from the TCU student section during Tuesday's game just fine.

Yahoo! Sports was one of several outlets that reported Adams, who was born deaf, was unable to hear the chants from the student fans on Tuesday.

While it is true that Adams was born legally deaf, reports that he can't hear are false. Adams had a cochlear implant -- a device that stimulates still-functioning auditory nerves -- inserted when he was in "about the fifth grade," his father, Mark Adams, told me on Thursday. With the use of that surgically implanted device, which connects to a hearing aid, Adams' hearing deficiencies are almost indescernible.

"In a crowded environment, he's going to hear about 98 percent of what's said," said Mark Adams, the basketball coach at Howard College in Big Spring.

Mark Adams said his son has been a deft lip reader since he was very young, and with the addition of the cochlear implants and a hearing aid -- which he keeps in place with a headband during games -- "he's just as normal as you and I."

As far as the chants, comparing Adams to Bieber -- which also emanated from the stands in Corpus Christi last week and, it should be noted, have not been malicious in nature -- the 5-foot-7 guard has been taking those in stride since Bieber burst onto the pop-music scene, his father said.

"He'll go to restaurants or different places and hear from people that he looks like (Bieber)," Mark Adams said with a chuckle.

Teammates have been playfully ribbing Adams this week for the attention he's received for having a celebrity doppelganger. Mark Adams said his son wouldn't want it any other way.

"I can count on one hand the times he's ever felt like he was different," Mark Adams said. "He's just a very strong-willed, confident young man."

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Boult
post Tue Jan 17, 2012, 07:49 AM
Post #2 | Print

I.T.M.F.A.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Posts per day: 0.75
Topics Started: 854
User's local time:
Tue Jun 25, 2019, 01:42 AM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 2

My Blog

Wow, no kidding, thanks for sharing this article...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts With or Without Semantic Mediation: Retrieval of Lexical Representations in Sign Production
0 NetScout 4,475 19th March 2015 - 09:26 AM
Last post by: NetScout
No New Posts Attention Interchanges at Story-Time: A Case Study From a Deaf and Hearing Twin Pair Acquiring Swedish Sign Language in Their Deaf Family
0 NetScout 2,180 14th March 2012 - 05:20 PM
Closed Pinned: ATTENTION: No Free Advertising of other forums on DOL
0 Boult 3,135 9th January 2008 - 10:58 PM
Last post by: Boult
No New Posts National Survey of Accommodations and Alternate Assessments for Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing in the United States
1 NetScout 3,365 23rd February 2007 - 12:17 PM
Last post by: loml
No New Posts National deaf soccer team out to win fans in Pensacola
0 NetScout 3,018 3rd June 2006 - 09:45 PM

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2019 - 01:42 AM