Post #1 | Print

Group: New Member
Posts per day: 0.00
Topics Started: 1
User's local time:
Sat Aug 24, 2019, 05:13 PM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 945

(IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Hey I am curious. How do the Deaf feel about those deaf who grew up in mainstream education???? I grew up in the hearing world in the mainstream life. It is sometimes frustrating when a deaf excuse me as 1/2 deaf because I am from mainstream. It is not my fault I did not grow up in the deaf world. Anyway, I was just wondering that's all :-D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LittlePitty
post Sun Jul 3, 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #2 | Print

Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.70
Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Sat Aug 24, 2019, 08:13 PM
Member No.: 27

My Blog

I think it depends! Most people are willing to accept you for who you are reagrdless, but there are those deaf militants who don't think you are deaf if you are mainstream. Too bad for them!

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Sun Jul 3, 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #3 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.70
Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Member No.: 210

My Blog

I had quite a few students who Mainstreamed until they reached high school age, then came to the residential school to study and prepare for Gallaudet. They fit in very well, in fact I think they did wonderfully and they had the respect of the long-time live-in students. One former mainstreamer went on to be Miss Deaf Washington. These girls I am speaking of COULD ALL SIGN, however. You did not mention if you know ASL or could communicate with regular deafies. ASL speaking deafies have a tendency to be short on patience if there is poor communication.

+Quote Post
Mark B.
post Tue Jul 5, 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #4 | Print

CI-Borgs Rule!
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.66
Topics Started: 48
User's local time:
Sat Aug 24, 2019, 02:13 PM
Member No.: 222

My Blog

I have a lot of deaf friends who accept my being mainstreamed. In fact, they're so willing to overlook my very bad ASL.

Guess I'm looked upon as a role model for someone who can bridge the ideological gap between oral deafies and deafies, if not also militant deafies.

Mark (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/coolio.gif)

+Quote Post
Boult
post Sun Aug 7, 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #5 | Print

I.T.M.F.A.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Posts per day: 0.74
Topics Started: 854
User's local time:
Member No.: 2

My Blog

QUOTE (LittlePitty @ Sun Jul 3, 2005, 12:19 PM)
I think it depends! Most people are willing to accept you for who you are reagrdless, but there are those deaf militants who don't think you are deaf if you are mainstream. Too bad for them!

I agree.

I have been in Deaf School, commuted to Deaf School, Oral Deaf school, mainstreaming, NTID (I view it as mainstreaming since it is not Deaf exclusive since I attended classes at both NTID and RIT considering that NTID is one of 8 college of RIT during my times as it may have expanded to more by now) So I have all kinds of friends from various background. If I hang out with militant Deaf then I would have to be militant Deaf eh but I am not one.

Anyway, welcome Tootie04!!

+Quote Post
fuzzypeach
post Sun Jan 8, 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #6 | Print

Group: New Member
Posts per day: 0.00
Topics Started: 0
User's local time:
Sat Aug 24, 2019, 07:13 PM
Member No.: 1,115

i guess you would call me an oral deafy. i am profoundly deaf and i have 2 cochlear implants and i have been mainstreamed since i was in pre-school. i have never actually learned the ASL. just very little from what they taught me when i was very young, but my speech therapist made me forget it rite after i got my first cochlear implant, which was when i was almost 3. i am currently in 9th grade at a public high school and i am the only one who is deaf. i recently met a friend on the AG Bell's message boards and it turned out that she only lived about half an hour away from me. i met her and she had a cochlear implant and was currently mainstreamed and knew ASL well. then, she invited me to a deaf party, where they use ASL. i barely know any ASL and i was very hesitant about going, but my friend encouraged me to go and meet other ppl my age who r like me. and she tried to teach me as much ASL as she can in one nite! lol. and when i got there, i felt really left out. i had no idea wut they were signing and i've noticed that when my friend told her friends that i didnt grow up signing and that i was very oral, they seemed disappointed and acted like i was an outcast just because i grew up with hearing kids all of my life and never used ASL. there were a couple that accepted me, but there were alot who didnt think i fitted with them. i couldnt really communicate with them unless my friend's there interpreting. i got to say that was quite an experience!! i only have one actual friend who's deaf and doesnt talk, only used ASL. i have many that are oral and have cochlear implants and dont use sign language much.

This post has been edited by fuzzypeach: Sun Jan 8, 2006, 02:36 PM

+Quote Post
Sugar
post Sun Jan 8, 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #7 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.16
Topics Started: 148
User's local time:
Sat Aug 24, 2019, 08:13 PM
Member No.: 257

My Blog

I grew up mainsteamed as well and yes I have met deafies who feel I am not deaf enough to be welcomed into their social circles, but I do not worry about it all. Like LP says, it is their loss.

Fuzzy, are you very involved with the AGBell association? I have a very close friend who is very involved. What state do you live at?

+Quote Post
lillysdad
post Thu Feb 1, 2007, 08:24 AM
Post #8 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.04
Topics Started: 23
User's local time:
Sat Aug 24, 2019, 07:13 PM
Member No.: 1,595

My Gallery

To those that posted in this thread, thank you. I find the insitght very helpful in raising my daughter. SHe is profound, and has bilateral CI . In fact, we are getting the second CI activated later today. I find the opinions of CI kide invaluable. Afterall, my daughter is following in your footasteps and is reapoing the benifits that you all have created. The question I have is, looking back on your childhood, do you find yourself wishing that you learned more sign and were more exposed to deaf culture?
Thank you in advance for any replies.

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Deaf Students Reading and Writing in College: Fluency, Coherence, and Comprehension
0 NetScout 10,968 11th June 2016 - 02:56 AM
Last post by: NetScout
No New Posts Deaf Adolescents' Learning of Cardiovascular Health Information: Sources and Access Challenges
0 NetScout 12,940 31st August 2015 - 07:15 AM
No New Posts Deaf Native Signers Are Better Readers Than Nonnative Signers: Myth or Truth?
0 NetScout 12,067 19th March 2015 - 09:26 AM
No New Posts Deaf Parents of Cochlear-Implanted Children: Beliefs on Bimodal Bilingualism
0 NetScout 11,861 13th January 2015 - 08:37 AM
No New Posts Deaf Students' Receptive and Expressive American Sign Language Skills: Comparisons and Relations
0 NetScout 10,019 27th August 2014 - 10:39 AM

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2019 - 05:13 PM