Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.29
Topics Started: 118
User's local time:
Fri Sep 20, 2019, 01:18 AM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 33

Originally posted by JakeODonnell
q, lets say one was homeschooled by a cult group or perhaps one of those hate groups. there's a pretty good chance that child will grow up to hate or drink koolaid.

however, had he/she been sent to a public school, there's a good chance that the child may put two and two together and figure things out or perhaps run accross a decent teacher or friend that will help cancel out the ill information he's getting from his parents away from school.

The same thing can be said of the same person going to public school but get the alternative answers from their parents at home as being the more "acceptable", whatever that may be.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Southern Belle
post Tue May 27, 2003, 09:38 AM
Post #22 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.42
Topics Started: 157
User's local time:
Fri Sep 20, 2019, 12:18 AM
Member No.: 25

Originally posted by Sherry
I agree with you Dale. Someone should have been following her. I raised all sorts of stink about it all year. My stepdaughter said things to me like, "Mommy doesn't have time to teach me, she is doing laundry or watching her soaps."  ARGH!  But when you are the stepmom you have ZERO power. I complained about it all year but I am just the stepmom.  I think my role is to write the child support check and make sure their bags are packed when they go home.... (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

If she was being followed or checked on, I do not know about it.  I'm disgusted with the mother!  PLUS...my stepdaughter has a million brothers and she's the only girl...and she needed to be in school for the social aspects of it too.

Ok, she doesn't have a million brothers but I am not sure how many they have. Not even my stepdaughter knows.  (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/eek.gif)   She has one full brother and I *think* five stepbrothers and two half-brothers. I'm telling you...that mother needs to quit reproducing and so does her hubby!  ARGH!

Sherry

Sorry to hear this happened to your step-daughter. Even though you have "no power" as the step-parent" in her education, you still can do many things. I remember in another thread that you heard your step-son saying mean things to his sister and you caught him. It is important that your step-daughter knows that at least one person is on her side (you). When you said that the mother has time to drive the boys to softball, boy scouts but no time for the girl, that worries me.

Another thing that worries me is if the mother's husband does weird things to your step-daughter, the mother will not listen to her. I hope that she can tell you if this ever happens.

I worry that it will make your step-daughter feel devalued because she is not a boy. I hope that when your step-daughter visits you, that you can show her that she is important too. Even if the mother does not have "time" to take her to extracurricular activities, your step-daughter can still be proactive. What is she interested in? If she likes to draw or create things, maybe you can give her extra stuff from your store? If she likes to read, take her to the library or to a bookstore with you. Just let her know that if she needs someone to talk to, that you are there for her.

Sounds to me as if the mother thinks that men are more important. I've known some women like that and I had several ASL interpreters like that. oy vay!

In your step-daughter's case, homeschooling did not work. I think it takes a lot of committment to do this and the mother was not willing to do this. Sounds to me as if the mother was trying to undermine the daughter. And the mother may also see the daughter as competition. It makes me think of the "wicked step-mother" in fairytales. But in this case, it is the mother who is more like the wicked step-mother.

I'm happy that your step-daughter has you and when she stays with you, just focus on what you and Daniel CAN do.

s'belle

+Quote Post
Liebling:-)))
post Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #23 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.03
Topics Started: 20
User's local time:
Fri Sep 20, 2019, 02:18 AM
Member No.: 601

Interesting thread here. Unfortunlately, I notice that this thread is old.

I searched the information over homeschooling because I find it interesting to know anything pros and cons where I learn from other American forums.

I support homeschooling as illegal in Germany because I beleive it´s teacher job because they have teacher skill.

Why?

I feel that "Homeschooling" is a misleading phrase. It means that the homeschooler stays home and is taught by their parents who are not qualified to teach high level subjects. It would mislead homeschooler education with wrong informations/skill eg. I don’t believe to hide my children from the world but learn to face pros and cons over environment/world.
The private, public and boarding school do have anything to educate the children what homeschooler doesn’t have. I believe there’re disadvantages of home education are:

• The parents must be willing to earn a "sweat equity" in their child's education. A lot of time and effort must be spent on teaching their children.
• Parents are not trained teachers or don’t have any skill thru high school. Any parent has strengths and weaknesses, and unlike public or private education, where a teacher can expert in one subject, a parent-teacher must teach all subjects.
• the parent must teach several grade levels, which requires still more preparation and co-ordination.
• Few families have the resources to provide science laboratories or other technical items.
• Some colleges or businesses may not accept the home educated student on a par with the public or private/parochial educated student.

I think private, public or boarding school are good for both the children and parent because the parent need a break and the children gets to be around with other kids and children are learning how to socialize, get along with others and follow directions. To learn how to respect and receive educations from different teachers like history, math., English, foreigner languages, biology, chemistry, and physics, laboratory sciences etc etc etc!
I can image what my children become if I have them homeschool alone to educate? Answer: isolation, poor education/skill....

Well, I appause government to control of the children because Germans are stricter about children protection law. For them, it´s abuse if you pull your children out of public school to teach your children yourself. It would end children isolation world because they didnt know what pros and cons in the world alike.

Well, my children´s teacher asked us for the permission if it´s okay for my children to learn about reglious. We do not against it because I believe it's good for the children to learn different beleifs in the world. My 1st son told me how interesting about India’s belief etc, Jewish, belief, Christian belief, JW, belief, etc etc etc..... My son already asked me for my opinion why I believe only God and Bible. I am not force him to believe me but gave him my honest answer.

Some of parents have different beliefs and not agree to let their children learn kind of beliefs from school but they need to write a letter to school telling them to not teach their children. School respect reglious parents and send their children home earlier when the reglious lesson begin. My son told me that it´s only 2 in his classroom send home when the reglious lesson begins.

If I consider homeschooling and teach my children full time without let my children collect their news from others? For me, no way. Let my children GO and COLLECT their experience and bring their exciting news to us everyday. It brings us more experience and interesting.
This is my opinion.

Of course we have freedom of speech here in Germany. We can choose school what we want without government tell us to do.

My sons were taught about this in public school. Homeschooling? Do the parents have skill like this? That´s why I prefer public school because they have everything what homeschooling dont have.

Yes, I know what do best for my child without government tell me what to do because I did not anything to harm my children. They would do something when they found out that I am bad parent. I thank government for take care of children-enivorment friendly. The teachers gave us their attention tips about children education/unbringing etc which we appreciate it very much and collect any tips/idea etc from teacher, conference.. All what they do is protect our children. We (parents) do everything to protect our children, too. We work together and support each other because we doing is protect our children´s safety and future.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Wed Jun 29, 2005, 01:01 AM
Post #24 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.70
Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Member No.: 210

My Blog

Yes,yes! You do not have to listen to the government, they are your children -- to a point.

I know quite a few kids who have been home schooled. Usually their parents home school them until they are entering high school, then let them go. The kids I have met succeeded admirably and so far have not shown any backward tendencies. The children are tested regularly and if they are not doing well, they have to be removed to public school. (Strangely tho this is almost unheard of).

Personally, I am against children being overly sheltered. Most people have to learn the hard way, why try to change that?

I think that European countries do much better with their youth than the U.S. does. In fact, I know so. We had deaf exchange students at my school and they were highly trained and intelligent with great family orientation.

+Quote Post
Siana
post Wed Jun 29, 2005, 06:01 AM
Post #25 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.04
Topics Started: 34
User's local time:
Fri Sep 20, 2019, 04:18 AM
Member No.: 937

I am glad you found this thread and brought this back up Liebling!

When I married my wonderful husband we had to move to a different town. It isn't far from the town we used to live in but it is a different school and a lot bigger than what we were used to. (A LOT BIGGER!)

My girls started school in this new town last October. My youngest seems to like it and fits in real well my my middle daughter Goldie hates it! To be honest I do too.

My disgust with this school started shortly after goldie started there.....

I am VERY lucky in that my husbands ex-wife picks her children up in the mornings and takes them to school. Since my girls go to the same school she takes them as well. Goldie had only been at this new school for one week when she came home crying and told me she had a detention. I was shocked! She had never gotten into trouble in her life! In fact teachers often used her for mediator!

As it turns out Goldie had done nothing wrong. She was tardy because I wake the kids up and get them fed; my alarm clock stopped working and they were all late. not by much though just 5 minutes and I provided each child with a note.

I called the school and talked to the princapal and told him I didn't feel Gold did anything wrong. It was my fault she was late and it was a first offence so why the big deal? He asked me why Goldie couldn't take herself to school, and didn't I think she was old enough to get herself up? He then said in response to my comment that we were new to this town and it is a whole lot bigger than the small town (village actually) that we came from and Goldie isn't comfortable enough in it enough in order to be confident in walking to school, he says he highly doubts that the Al kida (sp?) or tel ban would be targeting Salem any time soon for terrorest activity and they have NEVER had a case of a missing child here.

I responded with Don't be an ass. Just because I am a house wife doenst make me stupid, the jerk had the gal to sniff at that comment as if to say 'oh yeah could have fooled me!' I also told him the tal ban is the least of my worries however was he willing to go on the record with that comment of never having a missing child case? He said he would and I went to the library within the hour and pulled up 10 cases in the last 8 years with in 6 minutes of looking. Better believe I showed these to that pig! Oh yeah two of those the kids were on their way to school.

I want to add that normally my kids do get themselves up on their own but when I am home I LIKE to do it. Also there were years where Goldie had the full responsibility of waking mom up because I didn't have an alarm clock for deaf people, so when I tell them I will be waking them up and getting their breakfast its just a way for me to mother them. Goodness knows they don't allow too much of that any more! I certainly didn't need some piss ant telling me how to raise my children!

Anyhow what I am getting at is I wound up serving my daughters detention just to prove a point to that asshole, and ever since Goldie has had nothing but trouble with that guy. Every week he hauls her into his office for one thing or another. He has never had anything for which he could really pin on her but he did make a big stink about her bringing her Bible to school and reading it while in study hall.

He was mifed it seems because Goldie has three study halls she uses 2 of them to get school work done and the last one to read her Bible. Other kids asked her why she reads it and she said because it relaxes her. Well they seemed to think that was kewl so next thing Goldie knows a bunch of kids were bringing Bibles to school and reading them quietly in that same study hall. The teacher in this study hall though it was wonderful and allowed the children to have quite discusions on what they were reading and that lead to weekly verses they challenged each other to memorize.

Personally I was proud as could be for my daughter being instrumental in starting something so positive!

This pricapal was upset because he said prayer isn't allowed in schools anymore. I told him it isn't allowed to MAKE the kids pray but if they CHOOSE to that is a whole other issue there and that is most certainly allowed. He wanted the studies canceled but I took out a petition and won the kids get to have their reading of the Bible as long as it doesn't disrupt any other line of education in the school.

I think this man is a control freak who has no biz working in the public school system.

Now the school year is coming up on us again rather quickly and I really want to pull my daughter out of that school, my step daughter told me about this kewl homeschooling program for ohio called BOSS (Buckeye on-line school for success) Both her and Goldie would like to do this rather than go to Salem public schools. After my experience with that jerk off last school year I don't blame them.

I am seriously checking into this BOSS program and think I just might be home schooling our girls this year.

The thing with BOSS is you get a computer for each child who is in the program. The kids work at their own pace and the best part you don't have to be the teacher! they have teachers online! kewl beans eh? No going to the local school to get tested, they do all of that through the computer with their online teachers. The teachers make weekly phones calls to the children and parents and they get report cards just like any other school. A couple of our neighbors kids are in this program and their parents say they cant believe the difference in their child since starting BOSS! The kids even say they love learning now where before they hated it.

Anyhow if anyone else in interested in home school check out

http://www.go2boss.com/index.aspx

If your in OHIO that is, if not maybe if you call them they can tell you of something like BOSS for your state.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Wed Jun 29, 2005, 08:32 AM
Post #26 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Wow, Boss is extremely interesting! I learned something from you. No wonder so many young people drop out of school, when the teachers and administration are not reall qualified personality wise!

Keep us posted on this situation and good luck! We like gals with guts!

+Quote Post
Liebling:-)))
post Thu Jun 30, 2005, 03:19 AM
Post #27 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.03
Topics Started: 20
User's local time:
Member No.: 601

Wow, interesting!

Yes, I can undersand your point.

Yes, I realize that we have different culture because you born and raised in America as me in Europe.

I didn´t know that homeschooling is a legal in America until few months ago at other forum.

We didn't pay our attention on homeschooling issues and was also disgust and consider it as abuse after read the newspapers about the reglious belief parents was put in jail for pull their children out of public school to homeschool them somewhere in Germany until I learned from American forum about homeschooling few months ago and began to understand there're cons/pros between public school and homeschooling in other forum. I respect their choice/reason.

I understand Americans's view over school. They said that they are not allow to choose public school they want to send their children to. Here in Germany yes, I can choose any school what I like.

We look for school with good enivornment/reputation for my children. I would of send my children to private school if I´m not happy with public school.

Every countries have different law systems. I´m European and see different view as American. I see nothing wrong that Germany consider homeschooling as illegal. IMO

Yes, I can see that there´re big difference between Germany and America culture. I´m interesting to collect the pros and cons in every different cultures and law systems.

Keep update with news, Siana

I has to admit that I'm agree with you, Lantana about the difference between Europe and America.

+Quote Post
Siana
post Thu Jun 30, 2005, 04:57 AM
Post #28 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.04
Topics Started: 34
User's local time:
Member No.: 937

Did you know that our children’s grammar is nothing compared to what it was 100 years ago? Even as early as 50 years ago? Did you know that before public schools people were better educated in their own homes then they are today in the public schools!

Also here is another thing I don’t like about public schools. You work you tail end off trying to get a nice home in a nice neighborhood then have children and you want to raise your children a certain way then they turn 6 and you have to send them to a public school where they are exposed to children you probably never would have allowed them to play with in the first place! And let us not forget all the children so effected by bullying that they lose it one day and kill a bunch of their class mates.

Our public school system here sucks donkey balls. If I could have afforded it I would have put mine in privet school right off the bat but I couldn’t/cant afford it so I made due with what I had at hand.

I did do the home schooling thing for a while when they were younger but the older they got I had a hard time because well lets be frank, I suck at math and science! This BOSS is going to be perfect for them! I have made an appointment and plan to put at least two of the children in the BOSS program. Corey is graduated and will be going to college so thats one less worry for us. The other girls I think are fine. My youngest is in the gifted child program so I really don’t want to take her away from that.

Anyhow I will let ya’ll know how BOSS goes!

+Quote Post
balagan
post Thu Jun 30, 2005, 07:50 AM
Post #29 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.06
Topics Started: 14
User's local time:
Member No.: 412

Liebling, it is the same way here in New York City. Your child applys to whatever elementary school in the city that they (well their parents) want them to go to. It is easier to get in if you live in the district, but not impossible if you don't. Districts matter less and less as you get older because nobody really pays attention to them for middle school or high school application unless a school is really out of the way, which could factor in. For example my brother next year will be applying to schools around the city based on which one best suits him.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Fri Jul 1, 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #30 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

GRAMMAR? What about PENMANSHIP? EEEEK! Grown up adults nowdays write like 6 graders! How embarassing.

+Quote Post
LittlePitty
post Sat Jul 2, 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #31 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.69
Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Member No.: 27

My Blog

They don't even teach cursive in the public schools anymore!

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Sat Jul 2, 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #32 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

I have a diary here that has been in my husband's family for a few generations. The oldest post is 1816. The handwriting in this diary is unbelievable, almost an art! It shows that people took pride in themselves in those days.

+Quote Post
balagan
post Mon Jul 4, 2005, 05:31 AM
Post #33 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.06
Topics Started: 14
User's local time:
Member No.: 412

They deffinately do teach cursive in public school since my brother just suffered through it a few years ago, and some kids I babysit are doing it now. For some people, including myself, it is very hard to write neatly, and if I was to make sure that my handwriting was perfect, then I would never finish timed tests. Neat handwriting is nice, and pretty to look at, but not being able to do it is not something to be ashamed of, and certainly doesn´t mean you don´t have pride in yourself.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Mon Jul 4, 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #34 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

I think it takes awhile to develope one's own style. Yes I was taught cursive in school myself and ignored it later on and developed my own "writing personality".

Has anyone ever noticed that if you have poor handwriting, that your fingerspelling is sloppy too? That is merely an observation of mine and not a law set in stone, just thought I would mention it.

+Quote Post
OCDAC
post Tue Jul 5, 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #35 | Print

Group: New Member
Posts per day: 0.00
Topics Started: 0
User's local time:
Member No.: 944

I frown on the homeschooling concept as the children are not being around professionals who are trained to spot children being physically, mentally, or sexually abused.

Richard Roehm

+Quote Post
Old Soul
post Thu Nov 16, 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #36 | Print

Group: New Member
Posts per day: 0.00
Topics Started: 0
User's local time:
Member No.: 1,345

Going through a problem with the school system right now. I would love to pull her out but hubby won't have anything of it. I feel I could give her a better education because she would have one on one. Her social skills won't get her a degree in U. Her education will set her for life in the long term road ahead.

What are the pros and cons? Can anyone list them? OS

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 01:18 AM