IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Love music? Help stop the RIAA from silencing online music listening.
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Sat Sep 28, 2002, 07:30 PM
Post #1 | Print

Guests

we need everybody's quick help to stop the RIAA from killing free internet radio.
You can help by going here:

http://www.live365.com/carp/hr5469.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Sat Sep 28, 2002, 07:36 PM
Post #2 | Print

No ALIAS until January 2005!!! EEK!
Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 1.25
Topics Started: 376
User's local time:
Sun Aug 25, 2019, 05:18 PM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 5

This is news to me. Who is trying to kill free internet radio??? I see RIAA...Who are they?

Sherry

+Quote Post
Boult
post Sat Sep 28, 2002, 07:48 PM
Post #3 | Print

I.T.M.F.A.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Posts per day: 0.74
Topics Started: 854
User's local time:
Sun Aug 25, 2019, 03:18 PM
Member No.: 2

My Blog

Originally posted by Sherry
This is news to me. Who is trying to kill free internet radio???  I see RIAA...Who are they?

Sherry

Recording Industry & Artist Association (is that correct?) the very same RIAA that brought Napster down.. and RIAA also wanted the hacker power to sabtoage several file swapping services (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/dunno.gif)

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Sat Sep 28, 2002, 08:19 PM
Post #4 | Print

Guests

sherry, its a long story. its been going on for 3 years now. I'll try to post a summary tomorrow. right now I go party.

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Sat Sep 28, 2002, 08:28 PM
Post #5 | Print

Guests

here's something to read while waiting . . .

http://forums.live365.com/viewtopic.php?t=475

more stuff . . .

http://forums.live365.com/viewforum.php?f=25

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Sun Sep 29, 2002, 05:30 PM
Post #6 | Print

Guests

okay, here is the story.

about 3 years ago the RIAA thought it might be a good idea to charge internet radio stations at a higher rate than they charge AM/FM broadcasters. A war started and the parties all agreed to waive pmts until the issue was resolved. A committee was formed and really very little progress was made.

Finally the Library of Congress rendered an opinion that pleased nobody. This rate is to take effect Oct 15. On Oct 15, backpayments for the royalties (3 years) are due to the RIAA.

Because of the LofCs decision, most internet broadcasters have gone off the air. (Live365 has wisely saved money for this fee).

What the RIAA is trying to do is in addition to a fee that is higher than AM/FM stations, they also want a prcentage of the revenue (NOTE: this is not profit, but revenue -- this is something that AM-FM stations don't pay)

The LC made its decision based on an old Yahoo! agreement with the RIAA. Yahoo! made an poor decision which would fancially bankrupt it so they dropped the internet radio plan -- in other words, after making the agreement, they changed their minds and dropped it. the LC considered it an ideal "business model" apparently unaware that Yahoo! never implimented it.

THe fact of the matter is this: Not one single internet station is operating in the black -- and this was before any royalties are charged.

The RIAA simply do no want Internet Radio cutting into their pie.

Fortunately there has been a lot of backlash in Congress about the RIAA greed and they appear willing to override the LC decision.

So thats where we're at.

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Tue Oct 1, 2002, 05:35 AM
Post #7 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

WOW...very interesting! Why does the RIAA not want internet radio to begin with? It seems to me that internet radio really serves a different type of customer than conventional radio so there is not really direct competition, is there? Or am I being naive here...I'm not a typical radio user *lol* so I really don't know.

Why are none of the internet radio stations not operating in the black?

Sherry

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Tue Oct 1, 2002, 07:34 AM
Post #8 | Print

Guests

The RIAA thinks internet radio hurts record sales. They never were known to make sense.

The main reason internet stations can't make money is the same for most internet-only business -- the difficulty to sell advertising. Businesses buying advertising has not accepted the internet as a completely viable means to advertise.

The economy hasn't helped. A year ago almost all we heard were self promotions from live365. In the last 6 months however, they've done fairly well with selling advertising space that they were able to set up an ad free program to generate revenue.

Independent stations without network connections can't do as well -- sell advertising and run a station. Many have already gone belly up.

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Tue Oct 1, 2002, 11:59 AM
Post #9 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Originally posted by JakeODonnell
Businesses buying advertising has not accepted the internet as a completely viable means to advertise.

Do you think the internet is a viable means of advertisement? I don't...I have yet to click on a banner or an ad that takes me away! If anything...I get more irritated. I don't know why, but internet advertising seems more intrusive than television, magazine or junk mail. I will peep thru the ads, but never internet ads.

I don't see how internet OR conventional radio can hurt record sales, if anything it would encourage sales. One would want a CD of something they like. The one thing that does hurt are sites such as Napster, etc. I do understand that...I myself am guilty of "pirating" such songs. The songs are there for downloading, and off I go. Why would I buy them when they're free? What's the answer? I don't know. I'm willing to pay a monthly fee for so many...today there was news that the main labels had to pay a fine for overpricing their CD's. That made me feel better for my downloading. One doesn't justify the other. I do know that....but I'm being honest here.

Sherry

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Tue Oct 1, 2002, 12:00 PM
Post #10 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Oh- one more thing...Speaking of the economy, if they don't get those ships unloaded in California, we're going to really hit the skids!

Sherry

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Tue Oct 1, 2002, 02:52 PM
Post #11 | Print

Guests

sherry, you're missing one element. with internet radio, most ads run instream. you don't click anything! you listen -- just like AM/FM stations. Its perfect for mass exposure where one isn't trying to sell you a specific item NOW!

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Tue Oct 1, 2002, 03:17 PM
Post #12 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

well you ARE posting to a deaf person... *lol*

funny you say that, that is exactly how the DJ and I started our friendship. he came into the store, mom introduced me to him, saying, "he's the DJ of Magic 105.3"...I said, gee, what do you guys talk about all day! He started telling me about his morning program, we ended up talking for two hours! I pestered him with questions....he said we do ads as well as music and talk programs, I said what kind of ads! He said all kinds, I distinctly remember saying, "even ketchup?" And he said, yup! Radio has always been a mystery to me because it was always one of those things that annoyed me..everytime it was on, everyone around me wanted *me* to shut up! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/eek.gif) I told him I didn't think that was fair!

Then he asked how I dated as a deaf person. I told him very carefully... (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I made fun of the whole process. That's how I ended up on his show. It was loads of fun. I STILL hear about it from people so I do know how many people listen to it.

Sherry

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Tue Oct 1, 2002, 08:07 PM
Post #13 | Print

Guests

did he convince you to buy advertising on his show?

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Wed Oct 2, 2002, 05:17 AM
Post #14 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

actually, we got *free advertising* because when I was on he kept saying, This is Sherry from Paper Garden at xyz address. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/eek.gif) I don't know why he did that, except to be nice. The problem was, since I was on talking about how I hated dating, all these guys showed up at the store....OMG! I ended up taking a week off to escape. I was so embarrassed.

Now, his wife is on the SA Living Show (television) and does stuff for us. Free! It's nice.

Sherry

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Wed Oct 2, 2002, 03:26 PM
Post #15 | Print

Guests

was your future husband one of those who showed up at the store?

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Wed Oct 2, 2002, 03:31 PM
Post #16 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Heck no! He already knew me. He was amused by the whole thing. We were only friends at the time tho. It's funny now.. but I really hated it at the time. I felt like a bimbo on display. It wasn't my intention. I really did disappear. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sherry

+Quote Post
Boult
post Fri Oct 18, 2002, 09:48 PM
Post #17 | Print

I.T.M.F.A.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Posts per day: 0.74
Topics Started: 854
User's local time:
Sun Aug 25, 2019, 03:18 PM
Member No.: 2

My Blog

Jake,

Small Webcasters get fee reprieve
Small Webcasters won't immediately have to pay new, potentially steep royalty fees due next week, the group responsible for collecting payments said Friday.

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeODonnell_*
post Sat Oct 19, 2002, 01:02 AM
Post #18 | Print

Guests

I've been following this all week -- its been on-off-on-off now apparently, on. Its looks like Jesse Helms was part of the latest "off" and later realize his goof. Fortunately somebody came up with a temporary agreement.

day to day coverage is best seen here: www.kurthanson.com

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Sat Oct 19, 2002, 04:50 PM
Post #19 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

I've bookmarked the site but when you are as far behind as I am, it is hard to make sense of it all. But I'm trying. By the way Jake, your internet radio site came up again today in the York Forum as a must hear site! I never post on that forum, I'm a lurker so it is nice to see it appear twice without my help. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I submitted your site to the listen-up site, haven't heard back yet.

Sherry

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Help Needed!
1 heathernewco 4,349 14th October 2008 - 06:23 AM
Last post by: GoldShoes
No New Posts Help Raise Deaf Awareness
0 rozee2277 3,136 31st March 2008 - 02:32 PM
Last post by: rozee2277
No new Pinned: Online Petition Now Open!
a petition to remove Sweetmind!
31 Boult 23,295 12th September 2007 - 03:03 AM
Last post by: R2D2
No New Posts from a newbie...
4 marronyeux 7,369 31st July 2007 - 07:16 AM
Last post by: lillysdad
No New Posts Listening & Literacy
Children with Cochlear Implants
2 loml 4,580 23rd February 2007 - 12:04 PM
Last post by: loml

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2019 - 03:18 PM