Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.04
Topics Started: 11
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 08:59 PM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 508

There are fewer and fewer leaders in high school these days too. The kids just want to follow along and be liked instead of RESPECTED.

Well I can assure you from my experience with my daughter and her peers this is in no way just a Deaf thing! Somehow we have give the Gen X and Y the message that they should have it all handed to them on a silver platter at age 18 - new car, new house, new everything, and incredibly expensive clothes displaying "cool" brand names. BLING BLING!!

IG I am waiting to hear your story, I bet it will be a very interesting one. Maybe we should have a thread just for telling our "personal journey through life" stories? I would love to get to know everyone better! (Social Butterfly here LOL)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Fri May 7, 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #42 | Print

Group Icon

Group: Banned
Posts per day: 0.05
Topics Started: 6
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 07:59 PM
Member No.: 517

I think what got some of us upset was you saying that we were insulting the deaf....and that isn't the case when we are already deaf.
That doesn't mean it's not possible. I am a Reform Jew and I could tell non-Jews that Orthodox Jews are crazy because the women shave their heads, the men and women aren't allowed to dance together. I would never say that they are crazy because they choose to follow the letter of the law. Some Orthodox Jews say that we (Reform Jews) aren't REAL Jews because we don't follow the kosher laws and don't keep our heads covered 24/7, among other things. I am insulted by that . . . and it's other Jews insulting me. When there is more than one kind of 'something', it often happens that the factions insult each other for not believing the same way.

It's just that there are many colors of deafness in the spectrum.
Exactly.

There are MANY vocations a deaf person can learn. Picture framing and animal grooming are two that come off the top of my head. But they always have some excuse not to look for something they CAN do, they are too busy with "I can't!"
I will assume that you are not saying deaf people shouldn't aspire to professions, but that your point is that regardless of education, intelligence or abilities, there is SOMETHING every deaf person can do.

I will never forget being approached in a local mall within a couple of years of learning sign language by a female deaf peddler. She stuck an ABC card in front of my face and without even thinking, I just signed "No." She was VERY startled that I signed and I said, "Why don't you get a job?" She said, "I can't. I'm deaf." My reply was, "That's no reason. I have many deaf friends who have jobs." She just looked at me and walked away. That has stuck with me for almost 20 years. Or the deaf panhandler who didn't even understand me when I asked his name or where he lived. He had NO language at all.

I think today's deaf youth was born with "Help Me"! written on their forehead. Perhaps they have not experienced enough hard knocks, they have been spoonfed too long.
Even after working with them for the past 14 years, I still can't put my finger on what exactly 'it' is about today's deaf youth. I think part of it is the same thing about a lot of today's hearing youth - their parents. A lot of them don't have rules and parental involvement and they won't grow up 'right' without them. It's scary when my school district is thinking about putting walk-through metal detectors in elementary schools. My husband and I know EVERYTHING our son is doing (granted, he's only 7); we check his homework, we have a communication book with his teacher; there's SOOOO many kids who come to school with their homework undone, dirty clothes, bruises. I am constantly appalled even after all this time.

Even though I am anti-CI, I am FURIOUS at the mother of one of our students - he got a CI when he was about 4 (he's now 9) and moved around so much for the next four years that he had NO follow-up, no therapy, no ANYTHING and is now in VERY sad shape linguistically and academically.

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Fri May 7, 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #43 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

OK, I started "What's Your Story?" in the General Forums under Introductions!

+Quote Post
LittlePitty
post Fri May 7, 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #44 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.69
Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 09:59 PM
Member No.: 27

My Blog

QUOTE (IzzisGirl @ May 7 2004, 03:38 PM)
I will never forget being approached in a local mall within a couple of years of learning sign language by a female deaf peddler. She stuck an ABC card in front of my face and without even thinking, I just signed "No." She was VERY startled that I signed and I said, "Why don't you get a job?" She said, "I can't. I'm deaf." My reply was, "That's no reason. I have many deaf friends who have jobs." She just looked at me and walked away. That has stuck with me for almost 20 years. Or the deaf panhandler who didn't even understand me when I asked his name or where he lived. He had NO language at all.

did you ever stop and think that the deaf panhandler didn't respond to your signing because he wasn't deaf and therefore his cover was blown? Happened to me at an airport!

It is a rarity for someone in this day and age (PL 94-142/IDEA/No child left Behind) to be without language. I know of a few cases that apply to deaf, but they are RARE!

+Quote Post
balagan
post Fri May 7, 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #45 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.06
Topics Started: 14
User's local time:
Member No.: 412

no child left behind? what a joke. try every child left behind.

sorry, off topic

This post has been edited by balagan: Fri May 7, 2004, 04:54 PM

+Quote Post
LittlePitty
post Fri May 7, 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #46 | Print

Group Icon

Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Member No.: 27

My Blog

I agree balagan...no child left behind is truly a joke! More specifically, I meant passge of PL 94-142 which required school systems to provide a free and appropriate education for all children from birth to 21.

Years ago there was a story about DOnald Lang, a poor deaf black man in CHicago who was charged with murdering several prostitutes. At first the judge found him incompetent to stand trial and a deaf attorney took his case. He tried to teach him sign but was unsuccessful. He could not be rehabilitated. He had no formal schooling and no language other than grunting and pointing, but this was in the early 70's BEFORE 94-142, but I have NEVER heard of a case so severe since due to deafness.

+Quote Post
Linden
post Fri May 7, 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #47 | Print

computer geek - student - grandma
Group Icon

User's local time:

There are hearing people here in NC doing the alphabet card scam. Know how I know for sure? before I sign to them I tell them their zipper is open and the invariably look. I do this without providing a good view of my mouth.When I start signing to them they generally freak and run because they know I know. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/mf_laughbounce.gif)

+Quote Post
balagan
post Fri May 7, 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #48 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

wait, what are alphabet cards?

+Quote Post
Linden
post Fri May 7, 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #49 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

ALPHABET CARDS

A small card about the size of a business card with the manual alphabet printed on it and some message to the effect that I am deaf and poor and make my living selling these cards and your donation would be greatly appreciated or some even stipulate how much the donation should be. The people doing this will lurk around malls, restuarants, parks, anywhere there is enough traffic to make begging worthwhile.

+Quote Post
balagan
post Fri May 7, 2004, 08:35 PM
Post #50 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

the alphabet? I can understand someone making a donation, but I dont understand the reasoning in selling the alphabet...

+Quote Post
Linden
post Sat May 8, 2004, 07:56 AM
Post #51 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

I think it is a thinly disguised form of begging actually. Everyone I know in the d/Deaf community detests people who do this, as they say it makes the hearing majority think badly of all d/Deaf. Some of the beggars are getting clever, with an ILY keychain or some other d/Deaf themed item they can solicit with. Makes me think of the guys on the street in NYC with fake Rolex watches.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Sat May 8, 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #52 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 06:59 PM
Member No.: 210

My Blog

The alphabet card "business" is very old, it has been going on for decades. A few have switched to keychains, or small trinkets, but they are still PEDDLERS

What many of you do not know is there is a KingPin behind all of this. They even have their own territories and fight over the borderlines. I know of one situation because I know the person personally. He has a big motorhome with a very large German Shepherd traveling with him and this fellow recruits young deaf girls (usually girls, occasionally a young boy) and travels around different parts of large cities. He lets the girls out and they agree to return at such and such a time with their "earnings", which they turn over to him and then go back out on the street to peddle some more.

This KingPin takes a very large percentage of the money and keeps it for himself, leaving the girls with a token amount. He is a very wealthy man with an expensive home and wears alot of flashy, expensive gold jewelery.

Awhile back there was a big scandal about this and there was a write up in Time Magazine. I wrote a letter to the editor about this type of slavery but Time was afraid to publish it, fearing a lawsuit.

There needs to be some kind of an expose' on this practice because those young girls/boys are also drawing SSI!

No one wants to make the first move! I tried and failed.

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Sat May 8, 2004, 05:15 PM
Post #53 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.52
Topics Started: 66
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 06:59 PM
Member No.: 297

I know of 3 deaf people who admitted to have doing it in the past. None had to report to a "master" or anything like that, and all bought the cards at either 25 or 50 cents each (yes, that much) then sell them at a profit for $1. One had the audacity to argue with me, even accusing me of being "jealous" of his brilliant entrepreneurship. He was actually raking in over $150 a day at airports!

+Quote Post
Tousi
post Sat May 8, 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #54 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.19
Topics Started: 22
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 05:59 PM
Member No.: 34

Actually, in California, to make "peddling" legal, one must offer/sell some sort of trinket and ya get an ABC card in da bargain!! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
Southern Belle
post Sun May 9, 2004, 09:00 AM
Post #55 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.42
Topics Started: 157
User's local time:
Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Wiggums @ May 8 2004, 05:15 PM)
I know of 3 deaf people who admitted to have doing it in the past.  None had to report to a "master" or anything like that, and all bought the cards at either 25 or 50 cents each (yes, that much) then sell them at a profit for $1.  One had the audacity to argue with me, even accusing me of being "jealous" of his brilliant entrepreneurship.  He was actually raking in over $150 a day at airports!

regarding airports, does this still happen after 9/11?

+Quote Post
Linden
post Sun May 9, 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #56 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Well if he was such an entrepenuer he would just print the cards himself via PC!!! Would increase the profit margin quite a bit. (sticking tongue in cheek)

+Quote Post
Southern Belle
post Sun May 9, 2004, 09:52 AM
Post #57 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.42
Topics Started: 157
User's local time:
Member No.: 25

Can someone from the deaf world please explain what this means?

there is a question I've been meaning to ask. I notice that it happened at deaf schools and to some extent, it still happens in deaf environments. This was not convered in the 45 minute video about the differences between hearing and deaf cultures.

And I am having a hard time understanding this concept.

when I asked about college entrance exams and preparation classes, the deaf school said NO way! we do not want to teach them how to cheat!

oh please! many minority groups have support out there - they have classes where they learn about preparing for the SAT so they can do well and get into college.

so, I wonder why culturally deaf groups do not seem to have this kind of support.

here is another example: when I was in college, we took workshops to learn how to write resumes so that we could apply for jobs.

after graduation, I took graduate classes at Gallaudet. they had a career center. Their attitude is totally different from my hearing college. some students asked about workshops and they said no, do it yourself and bring in your resumes.

how on earth can these students Learn how to write better resumes so they can apply for jobs; get job interviews????

xo, I am having a hard time with this concept of "do it yourself". how can one do it yourself if NO ONE teaches them how to be able to do it, then they will be able to do it themselves?

after the civil war, a black leader, booker t. washington, wrote that eduation was the key!!!

I am trying to understand something here. I apologize if I sound critical of the deaf schools but I think it is important that they receive the kind of education where they can learn to be independent. yes, that means giving test preparation classes or review classes so they have better chances of doing well on their college entrance exams if they want to go to college. no, that is not cheating in my book. but for some reason, some people would say this is cheating.

I am not talking about writing their tests for them. I am not talking about writing their resumes for them. I am talking about giving them the tools they need to be able to help themselves!

s'belle

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Sun May 9, 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #58 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

did you ever stop and think that the deaf panhandler didn't respond to your signing because he wasn't deaf and therefore his cover was blown?
I've absolutely heard about that, but I didn't give it a second thought. This guy was definitely deaf and had no language whatsoever - didn't even understand "You name?". Didn't even understand "You point-at-ear shake-head?":huh:

It is a rarity for someone in this day and age (PL 94-142/IDEA/No child left Behind) to be without language.
Well, this was about 5 years ago and he was in his 40's or 50's.

No Child Left Behind IS a joke when the deaf kids in my classes are on a second grade reading level and have to take their grade level (fourth grade) test and they are expected to do as well as the hearing third graders. Makes them feel even worse when they KNOW they are in fourth grade (they are VERY upset that they are mainstreamed with a SECOND grade science class), they SEE "Fourth Grade" on the front of the test and they can't read it!! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/mf_jumpon.gif)

He was actually raking in over $150 a day at airports!
$150??? I've heard of peddlers making $400 a day!!! Good question if it's still in the airports after 9/11. I was once on a popular night-spot street w/my deaf roommate and we were signing and a guy approached us to sell us a card!!!! Boy, did SHE give him an EYEFUL!!!!! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/boxing.gif)

I've never heard of a school refusing to help their students better prepare for . . . life. The two locations for high school in Philly both have transition classes for juniors and seniors and they cover job applications, they hook them up with OVR, etc. That's CRAZY!

(IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/toot.gif)

+Quote Post
Linden
post Sun May 9, 2004, 04:37 PM
Post #59 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

For sure! My former employer even sponsered Saturday morning session at the worksite for dependents of employees who were preparing for SAT!!

+Quote Post
Nancy
post Mon May 17, 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #60 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.27
Topics Started: 1,010
User's local time:
Member No.: 30

My Blog

QUOTE (Linden @ May 7 2004, 10:26 PM)
There are hearing people here in NC doing the alphabet card scam. Know how I know for sure? before I sign to them I tell them their zipper is open and the invariably look. I do this without providing a good view of my mouth.When I start signing to them they generally freak and run because they know I know.  (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/mf_laughbounce.gif)

(IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/Crylol.gif) Good one!

Nancy

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Deaf Students Reading and Writing in College: Fluency, Coherence, and Comprehension
0 NetScout 12,216 11th June 2016 - 02:56 AM
Last post by: NetScout
No New Posts Deaf Adolescents' Learning of Cardiovascular Health Information: Sources and Access Challenges
0 NetScout 14,124 31st August 2015 - 07:15 AM
No New Posts Deaf Native Signers Are Better Readers Than Nonnative Signers: Myth or Truth?
0 NetScout 13,180 19th March 2015 - 09:26 AM
No New Posts Deaf Parents of Cochlear-Implanted Children: Beliefs on Bimodal Bilingualism
0 NetScout 12,890 13th January 2015 - 08:37 AM
No New Posts Deaf Students' Receptive and Expressive American Sign Language Skills: Comparisons and Relations
0 NetScout 10,905 27th August 2014 - 10:39 AM

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2019 - 06:59 PM