Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 1.23
Topics Started: 376
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 10:22 PM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 5

Alright friends! I'm starting a general deafie topic for all things deaf! Here- you do not have to worry about getting off topic as long as it is about deaf issues. Here you can get "off-topic" about deafness, i.e., talk about several deaf issues in one fell swoop if that makes sense? With all the threads getting off track a bit I thought I'd at least offer you one deaf chit-chat "bench" to throw stuff around in. How's that?

Who wants to start? (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Linden
post Tue May 4, 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #2 | Print

computer geek - student - grandma
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.04
Topics Started: 11
User's local time:
Member No.: 508

Thanks Sherry. Maybe all the b*tching and moaning can be in one spot LOL! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
LittlePitty
post Tue May 4, 2004, 06:53 PM
Post #3 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.69
Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 11:22 PM
Member No.: 27

My Blog

I have to concur with an earlier statement made by Sherry...if someone said they wanted a deaf child I would say they are stupid!

+Quote Post
LittlePitty
post Tue May 4, 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #4 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.69
Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 11:22 PM
Member No.: 27

My Blog

Ohhh....sorry...on a lighter note, am wondering if IG is married to the Spin master!

+Quote Post
Linden
post Tue May 4, 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #5 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

I read somewhere there is a deaf couple in DC who used AI to make sure their kids were deaf? INSANE!!!!!

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Tue May 4, 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #6 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.52
Topics Started: 66
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 08:22 PM
Member No.: 297

To rob a future child of that precious ability to hear is absolute madness. I was born completely deaf and do wish the CI technology existed back then! Fortunately, I faced very little barriers.. whew

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Tue May 4, 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #7 | Print

Group Icon

Group: Banned
Posts per day: 0.05
Topics Started: 6
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 09:22 PM
Member No.: 517

LOVE this topic . . . I was going to start one like "Challenge IG" or something like that. I like this better. I'll be back when it's not 10:25 PM . . . and I haven't gone to sleep after midnight the past two nights . . . and I don't have to get up at 7 the next morning . . . and two shows that I want to watch aren't on.

With all the threads getting off track a bit I thought I'd at least offer you one deaf chit-chat "bench" to throw stuff around in.

Who . . . ME??? Not me!!!!

I wouldn't call him the Spin master, but if you'll tell me who that is, I'll confirm it's not him.

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Tue May 4, 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #8 | Print

No ALIAS until January 2005!!! EEK!
Group Icon

User's local time:

IZ...if you don't know who the SpinMeister is, you aren't a real DOL'er yet. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) And I'm not telling. You don't seem to want to learn anything from us.

I think you're an Interpreter! I've met your kind on the job. And guess what....I don't put up with that kind of Interpreter either. OUT THE DOOR! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/stretcher.gif)

Should I loan you my CI so you can learn to listen a bit? (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Tue May 4, 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #9 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

if you don't know who the SpinMeister is, you aren't a real DOL'er yet.
I just joined in March. Is this an insider's club or is anyone welcome to join?

I've met your kind on the job. And guess what....I don't put up with that kind of Interpreter either.

You don't know me. What "kind" am I?

I posted on this board light-heartedly, but if people are going to get right into insults . . .

Either all opinions are welcome here or they aren't. I haven't insulted anyone. Can I say my piece without being insulted?

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Tue May 4, 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #10 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

In order to earn the coveted role of being a true DOL'er, you have to give us your first born.

+Quote Post
Linden
post Tue May 4, 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #11 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

http://www.lsadc.org/resolutions/index.php?aaa=ebonics.htm

Well this is the American Linguistic Society's Resolution .... looks like THEY think Ebonics is a language to me .....

IG, how about you TAKE my first born instead of giving us yours LOL

This post has been edited by Linden: Tue May 4, 2004, 09:08 PM

+Quote Post
sweetnanna
post Tue May 4, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #12 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.30
Topics Started: 16
User's local time:
Mon Dec 9, 2019, 03:22 AM
Member No.: 302

(IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/jerry.gif) (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/jerry.gif) (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rockon.gif) (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/jerry.gif) (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/jerry.gif)

Well, Well, Well....... this should be a very interesting topic! I really am sickened to hear that some deaf couples would want deaf child(ren) for they are very idiot people! What do you think ears are for??? Just hold on....I can understand that some of us are deaf or hoh and there are many ways to learn communications in an hearing world. The majority of the people on this world are hearing!!! I may be deaf but I will not live in deaf community/culture until they changed.

+Quote Post
Songbird
post Tue May 4, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #13 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.02
Topics Started: 0
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 07:22 PM
Member No.: 406

uh, oh... another demon the one from deaf nightmare (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/Crylol.gif)

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Wed May 5, 2004, 04:28 AM
Post #14 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Good morning all!

No one can have my first-born, I like her! She gives good Massages now that she has finished training, haha.

Izzy, all opinions are welcomed here. The thing about yours is, you are telling us (the deaf) that ours are wrong and yours is correct. How would you like it if we deafies ganged up and told you how hearing people think and felt? And that you were WRONG? (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

If my statement about Interpreters seems harsh to you, let me educate you and perhaps other can join in with their horror stories. I have had Interpreters tell me that my CI was awful (despite the fact they could SEE that I loved it and was proud of it) and the only reason they knew about it is because I changed a battery in front of them. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Oh the horror! And no it wasn't just one interpreter. It's a national problem.

I've had interpreters say they wish they could have a deaf baby. (what, are they crazy???)

I've had interpreters INTERFERE with my personal/professional life while on the job. They do not even realize they are doing it until I push them back. Their job is to interpret, not run my life! Now I liken them to little puppies that I have to keep up with...so I do without as much as possible. I have had incredible Interpreters but they are far and few between.

I once had an interpreter I sent on a job interview with a client royally screw up the interview and the client did not get the job. She told the employer that he would have to buy a TDD for the client! Ummmmm, no? She's an interpreter, just interpret!

I don't know if you know this but I found it easier to place ex-offenders than deafies on jobs. Interesting, eh? All because of language! And the private sector is not so willing to embrace deafies....just some areas of the public sector. I find that a problem!

Moving on...

Sherry

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Wed May 5, 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #15 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

In order to earn the coveted role of being a true DOL'er, you have to give us your first born.

Sorry . . . he's a TREASURE (who signs, BTW) and it took me FOUR YEARS to get pregnant with him. He ain't goin' NOWHERE!!!

I tried to insert a pic, but it didn't work.

This post has been edited by IzzisGirl: Wed May 5, 2004, 08:57 AM

+Quote Post
Linden
post Wed May 5, 2004, 10:13 AM
Post #16 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Mine is 26, with tons of debt, little or no common sense, and married to a ninth grade dropout. Wish I could find a decent husband for her LOL but the grandkids are great. (WHY did I pay for private school all those years ........?)

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Wed May 5, 2004, 10:28 AM
Post #17 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Reason I'm not fond of interpreters is that they try hard to pad up my sign language. For instance, I'm using the Video Relay Service and I say things like, "I know hotel well, always full, but can I reserve city view?" and I can read her lips, "I am very well aware of the hotel and the premises, however, it is my desire to reserve the room that enjoy the view of the city. Is that at all possible given the hotel's tendency to be booked?"

On a side note, I was watching TV recently and thought it was funny... guy and girl meets each other. Guy asks her what her last name is and she says, "Dix." Guy says, "Ooooh, must not have been easy in junior high. Mine's Cox, by the way." Now, I wonder HOW many deaf people would get that? That's another one of the reasons why I am in favour of cued - they'd get that while ASL'ers and, admittedly, SEE-signing people would not get that unless they understood phonetics. Cuers can easily move to other languages - be it Spanish or French. That's one significant advantage they possess.

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Wed May 5, 2004, 12:07 PM
Post #18 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Wiggums- I don't let Interpreters speak for me but I do have the luxury of being able to speak. I've given a speech before! Once a CODA DVR friend and I were giving a workshop on employment matters for the deaf to a large group of prospective employers....we decided to trick them! I gave the speech in sign- it was rather hard cuz I am used to speaking for myself and she reversed for me. At the end- about 20 minutes or so before we ended, I started talking! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) The point I was trying to make at that time was one could not make assumptions about deafness....just cuz I was signing, don't assume I had no speech. Afterwards people came up and said *wow*...... I got several prospective job contacts out of that, including one at the AF Academy! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (my favorite one)

Izzy- hope this doesn't shock you but my ex-husband was hearing and fluent in ASL cuz he worked with the deaf. Despite that fact- I didn't teach either of my kids to sign. Instead, we all did that ------> (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tabletalk.gif) My Ex didn't sign to me either unless we had something to keep from the kids. Heh.

One thing I thought weird about deafies is when I remarried is the question I was asked. "Why you marry hearing again?" (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Wed May 5, 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #19 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

It really is nice being able to speak...

Many times we're watching football or basketball and they're always asking me to interpret what the coaches are saying.

My weekends are usually with hearing people so it's not like I can talk behind somebody's back. However, they do mouth the words to me knowing I'd understand and nobody else can. Unfortunately, sometimes they forget to let me know they're just mouthing and I respond using my voice.. and now everybody knows.

+Quote Post
Southern Belle
post Wed May 5, 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #20 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.42
Topics Started: 157
User's local time:
Sun Dec 8, 2019, 07:22 PM
Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Sherry @ May 5 2004, 04:28 AM)
Good morning all!

I've had interpreters INTERFERE with my personal/professional life while on the job. They do not even realize they are doing it until I push them back.  Their job is to interpret, not run my life!  Now I liken them to little puppies that I have to keep up with...so I do without as much as possible. I have had incredible Interpreters but they are far and few between.

I once had an interpreter I sent on a job interview with a client royally screw up the interview and the client did not get the job. She told the employer that he would have to buy a TDD for the client!  Ummmmm, no?  She's an interpreter, just interpret!

Moving on...

Sherry

wow! I've been lucky most of the time. I usually pick the interpreters I can work with. The bad experiences I had were when I had no choice, which was rare.

fyi, my interpreter at my job interview would say "I am stepping out of my interpreter role" so the other person knows she is not talking for me. that's great!

wish more interpreters would do that!

s'belle

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Deaf Students Reading and Writing in College: Fluency, Coherence, and Comprehension
0 NetScout 12,216 11th June 2016 - 02:56 AM
Last post by: NetScout
No New Posts Deaf Adolescents' Learning of Cardiovascular Health Information: Sources and Access Challenges
0 NetScout 14,124 31st August 2015 - 07:15 AM
No New Posts Deaf Native Signers Are Better Readers Than Nonnative Signers: Myth or Truth?
0 NetScout 13,180 19th March 2015 - 09:26 AM
No New Posts Deaf Parents of Cochlear-Implanted Children: Beliefs on Bimodal Bilingualism
0 NetScout 12,890 13th January 2015 - 08:37 AM
No New Posts Deaf Students' Receptive and Expressive American Sign Language Skills: Comparisons and Relations
0 NetScout 10,905 27th August 2014 - 10:39 AM

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2019 - 08:22 PM