Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.16
Topics Started: 148
User's local time:
Mon Jul 15, 2019, 02:27 PM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 257

My Blog

My husband and I walked out of the theater during this movie as it was sooo boring. It was a true talkie if I ever saw one. I found "Under the Tuscan Sun" far much better than this movie. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Banjo
post Sat Oct 11, 2003, 05:14 PM
Post #2 | Print

The Movie Guy
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.31
Topics Started: 185
User's local time:
Mon Jul 15, 2019, 01:27 PM
Member No.: 31
My Blog My Gallery

Anybody who think the Coen Brothers are boring need to seek professional help.

+Quote Post
Banjo
post Sat Oct 11, 2003, 05:16 PM
Post #3 | Print

The Movie Guy
Group Icon

User's local time:
My Blog My Gallery

Besides, you should had seen Kill Bill instead.

Kill Bill is truly a classic.

*EDIT* Not for the faint of heart.

This post has been edited by Banjo: Sat Oct 11, 2003, 06:08 PM

+Quote Post
Sugar
post Sun Oct 12, 2003, 04:17 AM
Post #4 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Hello Banjo, are you alright? Hope so...

Can you explain who are the Coen brothers and tell us a little bit more about "Kill Bill" ?

+Quote Post
Banjo
post Sun Oct 12, 2003, 09:24 AM
Post #5 | Print

The Movie Guy
Group Icon

User's local time:
My Blog My Gallery

QUOTE (Sugar @ Oct 12 2003, 06:17 AM)
Hello Banjo, are you alright? Hope so...

Can you explain who are the Coen brothers and tell us a little bit more about "Kill Bill"  ?

Yeah, I'm alright. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I was being sarcastic, but I personally believe that Coen Brothers are some of the best filmmakers around today.

Filmography

Ladykillers, The (2004)
Intolerable Cruelty (2003)
Man Who Wasn't There, The (2001)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
Big Lebowski, The (1998)
Fargo (1996)
Hudsucker Proxy, The (1994)
Barton Fink (1991)
Miller's Crossing (1990)
Raising Arizona (1987)
Blood Simple. (1984)

Joel Coen
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001054/

Ethan Coen
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001053/

Now, to enlighten you on the film, Kill Bill Vol. 1.

I know there are some people here who can't watch violent movies. This movie has quite an amount of violence with blood being spilled around.

This goes in the categories of crime, thriller, action combined. This is a movie purely based on vengeance. Plus, this is the fourth movie by Quentin Tarantino who has directed Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs.

The current Kill Bill movie out now is known as Kill Bill Volume 1. The second volume is set to be released in February 2004. In total, this would be like a 3 and half hours movie.

So far, the reviews this movie has been receiving are pretty positive. Same goes for Intolerable Cruelty.

Oh, there's also the new movie by Clint Eastwood which I have heard so much good buzz on. Mystic River, that is the title. I don't know if it's a movie to view in the theatre since I think it involve a lot of dialogues. But I think it'll be a good movie to watch on DVD.

Hope I helped you.

This post has been edited by Banjo: Sun Oct 12, 2003, 09:25 AM

+Quote Post
Sugar
post Sun Oct 12, 2003, 02:04 PM
Post #6 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Thanks Banjo for your informative movie review.

+Quote Post
pastispresent
post Sat Oct 25, 2003, 06:50 PM
Post #7 | Print

Group: New Member
Posts per day: 0.00
Topics Started: 3
User's local time:
Mon Jul 15, 2019, 10:27 AM
Member No.: 434

Banjo,
Glad to meet another movie freak. I'm a buyer for a small chain of video stores and having been watching huge amounts of movies since I was in diapers.
By the way, "Mystic River" is quite good. It also features two characters who sign, a teenaged boy and his brother. Interestingly enough, the boy is mute, not deaf. Deaf people are always being called "deaf-mutes" when they are almost never physically mute and I thought it was amusing to see a mute character who wasn't deaf. Unfortunately, the scene that features the most signing is filmed mostly in shadows, so it was hard (for me anyway) to make out what was being signed.
--pastispresent

+Quote Post
Banjo
post Sat Oct 25, 2003, 07:04 PM
Post #8 | Print

The Movie Guy
Group Icon

User's local time:
My Blog My Gallery

QUOTE (pastispresent @ Oct 25 2003, 08:50 PM)
Banjo,
  Glad to meet another movie freak.  I'm a buyer for a small chain of video stores and having been watching huge amounts of movies since I was in diapers. 
  By the way, "Mystic River" is quite good.  It also features two characters who sign, a teenaged boy and his brother.  Interestingly enough, the boy is mute, not deaf.  Deaf people are always being called "deaf-mutes" when they are almost never physically mute and I thought it was amusing to see a mute character who wasn't deaf.  Unfortunately, the scene that features the most signing is filmed mostly in shadows, so it was hard (for me anyway) to make out what was being signed. 
                                  --pastispresent

I've seen Mystic River, but there is one thing bothering me.

It's the deaf boy, he's not really a skilled signer. At least, not from what I've seen. His signing weren't too clear. It look a lot like homemade signs to tell you the truth.

But overall, the movie was good. It wasn't really a thriller from what I was expecting. I've figured it out that it's all about character study. Interesting concepts though.

*EDIT* Now, I understand. Apparently, my friend left the part where he wasn't really deaf out. It's time for me to pay him a visit.

This post has been edited by Banjo: Sat Oct 25, 2003, 08:04 PM

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Sat Oct 25, 2003, 07:53 PM
Post #9 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.71
Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Mon Jul 15, 2019, 11:27 AM
Member No.: 210

My Blog

I thought the boy was not deaf, just mute? Huh?

+Quote Post
Ernie226
post Sun Oct 26, 2003, 04:09 AM
Post #10 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.02
Topics Started: 8
User's local time:
Member No.: 239

Hi Banjo....

Just a question for you and the other "movie goers" on DOL .... Where do you, or can you, get the latest movies, like the ones you listed, with captioning ??

I gave up on going to see movies that I would really have liked to see in a theatre, and video stores here in NH are useless... so the only chance I have to enjoy a movie ( with dialogues as you say ) is to wait for several years until it is shown of TV, and even then many have not been captioned.

So....... what is the answer for someone who likes movies, especially new releases, like Mystic River, or Open Range, or Signs etc.... but is unable to understand or enjoy along with the Hearies in theatre or at home ??

...... best regards........

Ernie in NH

+Quote Post
Banjo
post Sun Oct 26, 2003, 10:01 AM
Post #11 | Print

The Movie Guy
Group Icon

User's local time:
My Blog My Gallery

QUOTE (Ernie226 @ Oct 26 2003, 06:09 AM)
Hi Banjo....

Just a question for you and the other "movie goers" on DOL .... Where do you, or can you, get the latest movies, like the ones you listed, with captioning ??

I gave up on going to see movies that I would really have liked to see in a theatre, and video stores here in NH are useless... so the only chance I have to enjoy a movie ( with dialogues as you say ) is to wait for several years until it is shown of TV, and even then many have not been captioned.

So....... what is the answer for someone who likes movies, especially new releases, like Mystic River, or Open Range, or Signs  etc.... but is unable to understand or enjoy along with the Hearies in theatre or at home ??

...... best regards........

Ernie in NH

Most movies I see doesn't have captions to begin with, but there are several locations in my province that are provided with captioning.

I'm referring to the theatres, and I am hoping that they'll provide my theatre with captioning soon. I have been writing e-mails to them and I have gotten responses from them. But I'm still waiting, but I hope they'll do it someday.

I understand how hard it is for you to watch movies with captions which is why I have my friends tell me some of the dialogues from the movies. Lucky, I'm fine most of the time since we select the movies very carefully.

Mystic River is pretty much a talkie, so I'll tell the deaf people to avoid it and wait for the VHS/DVD. Even though I did get to understand the plot basically.

+Quote Post
Ernie226
post Sun Oct 26, 2003, 10:50 AM
Post #12 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Hi again Banjo....

What do you mean by..."""so I'll tell the deaf people to avoid it and wait for the VHS/DVD.... """

I keep looking in video stores and asking what is captioned and only get blank stares. The only captioned films I can find are those from NID, all of whaich are less than current.

People will ask or talk about some latest film, ask if I've seen it... and I have to tell them that maybe in three of four years it will appear on the NID list..

It seems to me... that a very good way to become wealthy quickly, is to develop a system of providing captions with every film, that can only be seen with the use of special glasses. Glasses could be gotten by the deaf or hoh thru any Optomitrist or cheap "clip ons" might be an even better solution. I know this can be done because I\ve seen it done for military use as far back as 60s.. Dubbing over a standard film with invisible captioning would seem to be very easy and cost effective to do, without effecting the quality of the film for the hearing audience. This goes for every VHS as well.

At any rate.... its frustrating to miss out on whatever everyone else seems to be enjoying. I have just recently seen "Star Wars"... now I know why the original was so popular !

Thanks for your feedback... Hope you are enjoying the weekend !!

best regards.......
Ernie in NH

+Quote Post
Banjo
post Sun Oct 26, 2003, 10:59 AM
Post #13 | Print

The Movie Guy
Group Icon

User's local time:
My Blog My Gallery

QUOTE (Ernie226 @ Oct 26 2003, 12:50 PM)
What do you mean by..."""so I'll tell the deaf people to avoid it and wait for the VHS/DVD.... """

I keep looking in video stores and asking what is captioned and only get blank stares.  The only captioned films I can find are those from NID, all of whaich are less than current.

Some questions for you... what does NID stand for?

You are an American, correct?

If not, correct me please.

Now, are you telling me that when you go to video stores, you have trouble finding captioned movies?

If this is in America, perhaps it's your DVD player?

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Sun Oct 26, 2003, 04:38 PM
Post #14 | Print

No ALIAS until January 2005!!! EEK!
Group Icon

Posts per day: 1.26
Topics Started: 376
User's local time:
Member No.: 5

Ernie, you don't have to ask the staff. The boxes are marked. Look for a CC symbol. If see one, it's CC'd. Almost all of the movies are CC'd now. I rarely see a release that isn't CC'd. DVD's usually are CC'd and can also have English subtitles.

Sherry

+Quote Post
Ernie226
post Sun Oct 26, 2003, 04:56 PM
Post #15 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Hi all...

You've got to be kidding......!! DVD, .. Here in Northern NH people think thats some kind of designer underwear. I\d have to go to a city, perhaps 60 or more miles to the south to find any video store that had DVDs and even then unless you live in that place, its unlikely that they will rent to "out of towners"...

There is a video store to the west, in the Lakes Region of NH ... next time I go, I'll check the boxes as Sherry says, but I have my doubts. Will let you all know how I make out.

Thanks for the advice...... all.

best regards.........
Ernie in NH

ps: got a kick out of Sherry and the "freezing at 50 degrees"... We had 4 inches of snow last Wednesday, mostly gone now, but I'm sure this week will see more.... and then the wind begins. All in all, it will be pretty 'crappy' unbtil the end of April or first of May.

+Quote Post
Boult
post Sun Oct 26, 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #16 | Print

I.T.M.F.A.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Posts per day: 0.75
Topics Started: 854
User's local time:
Member No.: 2

My Blog

QUOTE (Ernie226 @ Oct 26 2003, 04:56 PM)
Hi all...

You've got to be kidding......!!    DVD, .. Here in Northern NH people think thats some kind of designer underwear.  I\d have to go to a city, perhaps 60 or more miles to the south to find any video store that had DVDs and even then unless you live in that place, its unlikely that they will rent to "out of towners"...

There is a video store to the west, in the Lakes Region of NH ... next time I go, I'll check the boxes as Sherry says, but I have my doubts. Will let you all know how I make out.

Thanks for the advice...... all.

best regards.........
                                          Ernie in NH

ps: got a kick out of Sherry and the "freezing at 50 degrees"... We had 4 inches of snow last Wednesday, mostly gone now, but I'm sure this week will see more.... and then the wind begins.  All in all, it will be pretty 'crappy' unbtil the end of April or first of May.

Or join Netflix and rent from them.. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) http://www.netflix.com

+Quote Post
Sherry
post Mon Oct 27, 2003, 06:11 AM
Post #17 | Print

No ALIAS until January 2005!!! EEK!
Group Icon

Posts per day: 1.26
Topics Started: 376
User's local time:
Member No.: 5

Renting from netflix is probably your answer! Check it out. Almost all of them are CC'd or have subtitles.

Yeah, "freezing at 50 degrees" seems comical. They CLOSED one of the resturants here because it was too cold! ?????? WHAT???? It wasn't icy, it wasn't snowing, it was raining and cold. I was wearing my sandals and enjoying every nip! Stopped by to get dinner and *GASP*....closed due to inclement weather. Wimps!

Sherry

+Quote Post
Southern Belle
post Mon Oct 27, 2003, 03:21 PM
Post #18 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.43
Topics Started: 157
User's local time:
Mon Jul 15, 2019, 10:27 AM
Member No.: 25

off topic here...was the restaurant one of these outdoor cafes?

s'belle

+Quote Post
Mark B.
post Mon Oct 27, 2003, 04:03 PM
Post #19 | Print

CI-Borgs Rule!
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.66
Topics Started: 48
User's local time:
Mon Jul 15, 2019, 08:27 AM
Member No.: 222

My Blog

You know, since Sherry mentioned it, I've found quite a few CC-marked movies (older ones, though) that are NOT CC'd.

Case in point: "Dune"...the original movie w/Kyle Maclachlan (sp?). Box marked w/ "CC"...ain't no CC's anywhere in the whole VHS. I stupidly kept the movie when I should have returned it to the place we bought it.

A pleasant surprise: "Hatari!" & "Hellfighters" w/John Wayne...both VHS were CC'd!

Just remember: returning a video/DVD to the retailer for full refund because of defective/non-existent CC's (even if they're labelled on the box) is a right protected by law!

Mark (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

This post has been edited by Mark B.: Mon Oct 27, 2003, 04:05 PM

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Mon Oct 27, 2003, 05:02 PM
Post #20 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.53
Topics Started: 66
User's local time:
Member No.: 297

I have noticed that some DVD manufacturers weren't aware of the difference between CC and subtitles. Many were under the impression the subtitles were also considered CC. Not so said the FCC... and they all should have straightened up by now.

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Cruelty Law to Slug Snail Killers
5 Paladin 3,327 26th July 2004 - 06:58 AM
Last post by: sweetnanna

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th July 2019 - 11:27 AM