Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.69
Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Fri Nov 15, 2019, 02:07 PM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 27

My Blog

Hi Gang..just returned from a national conference (actually it was national, but held right here in Baltimore!) with a wealth of new information. The conference's theme was "No Child Left Behind" and had tremendous focus on English literacy. I learned that I never knew before that has serious implications for learning English.
By age 9 all new learned vocabulary comes through...READING! The only way that a child becomes more literate is by being literate to begin with.

Most of the stuff was on how we can help children learning ESL but very little was covered on ASL to English. It does explain though why a lot of deaf children graduate at a 3-4th grade reading and writing level. After that age they don't learn intrinsically. I found this conference to be an eye-opener.

If anyone is interested, I have a plethora of references I can send to you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Sun Jul 11, 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #2 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Fri Nov 15, 2019, 11:07 AM
Member No.: 210

My Blog

Wow, interesting, LP. I learned to read at a very early age and when I lost my hearing at age 10, my love of books saved my sanity.

I often wonder how some of these deafies get anything out of the Internet, since they cannot read well. Oh, yeah, I forgot about the video thingy that everyone is bragging about. Who wants to have to run and put on a bra before calling somebody up??

+Quote Post
Patty
post Sun Jul 11, 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #3 | Print

Self Explanatory!!
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.13
Topics Started: 20
User's local time:
Fri Nov 15, 2019, 01:07 PM
Member No.: 544

My Blog

QUOTE (Lantana @ Jul 11 2004, 03:49 PM)
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the video thingy that everyone is bragging about. Who wants to have to run and put on a bra before calling somebody up??

Darn tootin' girly!! A DOL'er or two has seen me bra-less and haggard-looking so that ain't stopping me from conversing with them on webcam! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Paladin
post Sun Jul 11, 2004, 03:29 PM
Post #4 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.08
Topics Started: 52
User's local time:
Fri Nov 15, 2019, 06:07 PM
Member No.: 335

Ya said it.
The only way to get literate is by BEING literate.
And showing it by example.
Lord knows we got a hard time nowadays to get children interested enough in reading to just READ.
They are seemingly forever on Playstation.
There are ample ways to do this, and angrily blaming fascist liberals is not the answer.
If you love kids, you know what to do.
"Course, I only got a liddle sweetie here to remind me of that.

This post has been edited by Paladin: Sun Jul 11, 2004, 03:40 PM

+Quote Post
Sugar
post Sun Jul 11, 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #5 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.15
Topics Started: 148
User's local time:
Member No.: 257

My Blog

LP...I agree too, but see my thread under the Communication Forum about signwriting. It appears educators are turning to this tool to help deaf students to read.

+Quote Post
Banjo
post Sun Jul 11, 2004, 04:40 PM
Post #6 | Print

The Movie Guy
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.30
Topics Started: 185
User's local time:
Member No.: 31
My Blog My Gallery

QUOTE (LittlePitty @ Jul 11 2004, 04:35 PM)
Most of the stuff was on how we can help children learning ESL but very little was covered on ASL to English.  It does explain though why a lot of deaf children graduate at a 3-4th grade reading and writing level. After that age they don't learn intrinsically. I found this conference to be an eye-opener.

ESL as in English as a Second Language?

Just want to make sure.

+Quote Post
Paladin
post Sun Jul 11, 2004, 04:47 PM
Post #7 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.08
Topics Started: 52
User's local time:
Member No.: 335

Yup, Banjo, this is gonna get ugly...

+Quote Post
Sugar
post Sun Jul 11, 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #8 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.15
Topics Started: 148
User's local time:
Member No.: 257

My Blog

Or signed english???

+Quote Post
Banjo
post Sun Jul 11, 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #9 | Print

The Movie Guy
Group Icon

User's local time:
My Blog My Gallery

One method I have found to be quite effective is to cut pictures out of newspapers, magazines, books, movie images, and many more and paste them into a blank notebooks.

Then you label them with the names for the objects, people, places, etc, etc that we see in the pictures. I do believe that this method will help children learn more. Since deaf children tend to be more visually alert, this is an effective method.

+Quote Post
Banjo
post Sun Jul 11, 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #10 | Print

The Movie Guy
Group Icon

User's local time:
My Blog My Gallery

QUOTE (Sugar @ Jul 11 2004, 06:54 PM)
Or signed english???

That's what I may had thought, but ESL is commonly known as English as a Second Language. SEE is the way to say it, Signed Exact English.

But, the thing is. The descriptions of SEE I see here are often... not what I was taught as a child. But the closest one was Loml's description. I can't remember where it was.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Sun Jul 11, 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #11 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

Banjo that method has been used for decades. In the classroom we had pictures of each member of the child's family, including aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. Each child had his time during the day to explain who each family member was.

REMEMBER peeps, that a completely deaf child has no idea that so and so is his "sister", "brother", cousin, etc. They have to be taught all of these things. I recall one little boy who came to us around age 5 and all he knew was the signs for "is" and "it". When you asked him a question he would reply with "is" or "it". Yes, the boy had normal intelligence, he was just confused!

This boy is all grown up now and one of the finest former-students I would ever care to meet again.

The pity was that the parents didn't start it all when he was 9 months old!

This post has been edited by Lantana: Sun Jul 11, 2004, 05:06 PM

+Quote Post
sweetnanna
post Mon Jul 12, 2004, 07:46 AM
Post #12 | Print

Group Icon

Topics Started: 16
User's local time:
Member No.: 302

LP, thanks for sharing with us and do tell us more if there are new ideas on how to improve literacy for the kids whether deaf or not.
The ways I grew up ever since I can remembered was READING. My parents read to me and they made me read out loud also, correct me if I pronounced the words wrong and on some words, they would ask me what it means. If I didn't know, the dictionary came in handy! I remembered when I was about 7-8 years old, I would get down on my hands and knees while reading the newspapers on the floor. I even have a picture of me in that position, reading the newspapers! (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Banjo, my Mom would cut pictures out of magazines, catalogs or anything and write the word(s) underneath the pics and that's how I learned to speak the words over and over until Mom let me know that I said the words correctly long before I had my first hearing aid when I was 5 and never was taught sign language. Also, went to oralist program for deaf/hoh for about 2 years and my teachers also used the same methods that Mom did and Mom learned alot from my teachers on how to help me with lipreading. I did so well that I went on to the public schools and was the only deaf girl all the way through 12th grade when I graduated along with about 200 hearing students! I only went to first grade for about 2 weeks as I was so far ahead that I moved up in second grade and still ahead but guess they didn't want to put me in with lot older and bigger kids. (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
It takes a lot of dedications from parents, teachers and yourself to make it a success. It's a lifetime of learning English and Reading. I'm still learning and my dictionary's always right beside me.

+Quote Post
Southern Belle
post Mon Jul 12, 2004, 08:11 AM
Post #13 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.42
Topics Started: 157
User's local time:
Fri Nov 15, 2019, 10:07 AM
Member No.: 25

little pitty,

quick question...you mentioned ESL but that there was little information about ASL to english.

My question is can the ESL system also be applied to a deaf child whose first language is ASL? the american sign language is like a foreign language. it is NOT english.

the structure is very different for example.

I learned recently that many children learn how to read by HEARING the words said aloud when someone reads to them.

Would it be possible for someone even though an ASL signer to read aloud in Sign to the deaf child?

I learned to read through many different means after I became deaf ...reading comics, seeing written words all over the house like "book" on a book, "chair" on a chair, etc....

a teacher also used sandpaper cut-outs of the alphabet to teach me how to read and write. that was at the catholic school.

different things work for different child. how does the child learn? visually? auditory? kinestically?

s'belle

+Quote Post
Patty
post Mon Jul 12, 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #14 | Print

Self Explanatory!!
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.13
Topics Started: 20
User's local time:
Member No.: 544

My Blog

Kids nowadays are still confused with past, present and future tenses in ASL!

Example:

Went:
Going/Go:
Will Go:

I'll explain an example that I explained in my forum, a hearing educator tried in vain to explain the tenses to her deaf class but to no avail. She had to get one of her deaf peers (which was the librarian and had deaf sons of her own). This librarian taught the simple difference in ASL.

Deaf librarian: You played hockey yesterday?
Deaf student: Yes I did.
Deaf librarian: That's went.
Deaf librarian: You will play hockey today?
Deaf student: Yes I will.
Deaf librarian: That's will and you will play again tomorrow?
Deaf student: Yes
Deaf librarian: That's you will go again!

Guess what? The deaf students totally got the concept of past, present and future tenses by ASL itself without the hearing teacher's help. The hearing teacher tried to justify the Deaf librarian's ability to explain the tenses better because she had ASL to her benefit. The librarian said it was common sense to use it.

+Quote Post
LittlePitty
post Mon Jul 12, 2004, 09:49 AM
Post #15 | Print

Group Icon

Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Member No.: 27

My Blog

ESL as in English as second language. They had almost nothing on ASL to English and I have searched the internet for info on Bi-Bi but it the same tired stuff that's been around for 5-7 years. No new infor about Bi-Bi.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:31 AM
Post #16 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

My Blog

KittyG, what do you enjoy doing? Do you like animals? Find something you love and "you will never "work" another day in your life."

I have always wondered why deafies didn't go into the pet grooming business. That would be something they can do, since most deaf people are artistic and have an eye for perfection. If you worked for one of these places to find out if you liked it or not .... that would be helpful.

There is "Molly Maids", (or maybe it's Merry Maids??) they do house cleaning for families. I have a daughter in law who does this and she makes good money. One of her clients is a lawyer and she has received some good tips! My brother owns a ServiceMaster business and he would be tickled to hire deaf people, but cannot find any where he lives. (Walla, Walla, Wa.)

If I sound like I am "preaching", chalk it up to my teaching Independent Living Skills at the school.

We are all trying to help you and give you ideas.

The thread that Sugar started on deaf owned businesses would be a good place
to do some research. If there are deafies who own businesses, they will surely hire other deaf people. (Linden for example).

I forgot to mention Picture Framing. If you happen to live in an artistic community, picture framing would be very popular.

This post has been edited by Lantana: Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:33 AM

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Literacy Skills in Children With Cochlear Implants: The Importance of Early Oral Language and Joint Storybook Reading
0 NetScout 1,829 9th December 2008 - 12:00 AM
Last post by: NetScout
No New Posts More Funding for Ontario's Disabled
0 NetScout 3,055 1st June 2006 - 08:32 PM
Last post by: NetScout
No New Posts More PlayStation 3 info leaked?
1 NetScout 3,353 5th February 2006 - 11:12 AM
Last post by: Boult
No New Posts Literacy and Disability
0 loml 2,831 3rd November 2005 - 11:20 AM
Last post by: loml
No New Posts Literacy teaching for deaf pupils: morphological and visual inputs
0 loml 3,052 31st October 2005 - 09:11 AM
Last post by: loml

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th November 2019 - 11:07 AM