IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Continuation of History of ASL Discussion, continuation of the History of ASL disc
Linden
post Wed Jun 30, 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #41 | Print

computer geek - student - grandma
Group Icon

Group: Member
Posts per day: 0.04
Topics Started: 11
User's local time:
Sat Nov 16, 2019, 11:16 PM
Skin: IP.Board Pro
Member No.: 508

At the risk of being off topic ... if a person had a CI and truly did not want it in their head for whatever reasons (did not work for them, did not like it, whatever) could it not be removed? I am assuming that if it was surgically installed it could also be uninstalled ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LittlePitty
post Wed Jun 30, 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #42 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.69
Topics Started: 59
User's local time:
Sun Nov 17, 2019, 12:16 AM
Member No.: 27

My Blog

Sure but it requires surgery again.

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Wed Jun 30, 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #43 | Print

Group Icon

Group: Banned
Posts per day: 0.05
Topics Started: 6
User's local time:
Sat Nov 16, 2019, 10:16 PM
Member No.: 517

No, the internal components of the CI cannot be removed.

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Wed Jun 30, 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #44 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.52
Topics Started: 66
User's local time:
Sat Nov 16, 2019, 09:16 PM
Member No.: 297

Wrong, it can be removed. I know of one who had her CI completely removed.

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Wed Jun 30, 2004, 06:14 PM
Post #45 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

I beg to differ. EVERYTHING I have read about the CI and EVERYONE I have spoken to emphasizes the fact that the internal components CANNOT be removed.

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Wed Jun 30, 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #46 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

With the risk of bacterial meningitis, some had theirs removed.

+Quote Post
Linden
post Thu Jul 1, 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #47 | Print

computer geek - student - grandma
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.04
Topics Started: 11
User's local time:
Sat Nov 16, 2019, 11:16 PM
Member No.: 508

Well I guess God gave me 20/900 vision without glasses. But I am NOT going to stop wearing my glasses and turn in my driver's license.

And I am not going to diss people who have Lasik or Radial K or cataract surgery or whatever to correct their vision. I don't think they are going against God. Just taking advantage of what God through the intelligence and creativity He/She bestowed in people had a hand in creating.

And YES I do think this is a valid analogy to the CI. It amazes me that anyone would have the presumption to judge others and their personal decisions.

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Thu Jul 1, 2004, 05:18 AM
Post #48 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Whatever, I don't believe you. Nice try...
Then I would be a complete idiot if I wasted my time and energy on you any more . . . and your post contains so many contradictions and ramblings that it would take a considerable amount of my valuable time to address it anyway.

+Quote Post
HelloKittyGal
post Thu Jul 1, 2004, 05:30 AM
Post #49 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.03
Topics Started: 25
User's local time:
Member No.: 592

Contradictions and rambling? My ass...liar.....you just don't know what to say anymore. I don't know how to ramble on about my deafness to which I have lived since 2.5 years old. Contradiction is what you don't understand and you should research more thoroughly before you post things that are completely not relevant and have little knowledge of. Hearing aids, sign language, cochlear implants are all Man-made. Everyone knows that.

Also IzzyLand, the cochlear implant CAN BE removed. The reason why many deaf people have it in is because most insurance will not cover this unless it is critically necessary for your health or if your implant fail and you'd need replacement. You'd have to fight very hard for insurance to cover the cost of removal if it doesn't work for you. Another reason why I think you need to research more and talk to OUTSIDE of anti-CI circle of friends. You won't learn everything from them.

This post has been edited by HelloKittyGal: Thu Jul 1, 2004, 05:44 AM

+Quote Post
IzzisGirl
post Thu Jul 1, 2004, 07:12 AM
Post #50 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Contradictions and rambling? My ass...liar.....
Thank you for confirming my previous claim that you are young and immature. Cursing, name-calling and insults will not make me defend myself. I have plenty to say in response to your verbose post, but you've said you don't believe what I say, so I refuse to waste my EXTREMELY valuable (and unfortunately very limited) time on you.

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Thu Jul 1, 2004, 07:29 AM
Post #51 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

Wig, Deaf people do not move to a different neighborhood just to be near other Deaf people, although even if they did, I couldn't blame them. I would rather live in a neighborhood with more hannukiot in the windows than there are, but since there aren't many here, I take my son to a soccer team in a neighborhood where there are more Jewish children on the team. When you or your children are members of a minority, is there something wrong with wanting to be with others who are members of the same group? They understand you, speak the same language, have the same (negative and positive) experiences.

That's where you're wrong.

Riverside is booming with deaf people. I live in south Orange County and deaf people are VERY rare around here due to the high cost of living. Many deaf people are stuck with menial jobs or low-paying jobs so they eventually converge in areas that have lower costs of living, for instance, Riverside.

You say "members of a minority," you also fail to consider that there ARE minorities in my area interacting just fine with the mainstream. Deaf people, also a minority, do NOT have that luxury of easily interacting with others due to the inability to speak, as well as the inability to appreciate the nuances of the English language which I have stated countless times. Other minorities can eventually adapt, but not deaf people.

That is precisely the reason why I am strongly in favour of CI's at the youngest age possible. I have seen too many deaf people unable to cross the line. I'm an oddity as I am in touch with my hearing friends. I get invited to their parties all the time. I have hosted parties. I was the best man in two weddings. They're a great bunch, even though I'm so different from them, but would I expect the future deaf generation to enjoy a similar path? I doubt it. My hearing friends are not "deaf-friendly" for they do not sign and do not come to deaf events which is fine. It's like me going to Vietnamese events because I could hardly care less, so don't tell me my hearing friends are hypocritical for failing to understand my so-called "culture."

+Quote Post
sweetnanna
post Thu Jul 1, 2004, 08:52 AM
Post #52 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.30
Topics Started: 16
User's local time:
Sun Nov 17, 2019, 04:16 AM
Member No.: 302

Very well said, HelloKittyGal, Linden and Wiggums! Question for you, IzzisGirl: Why did God made two ears if you believe that it was God-given gift for a person who is deaf??? The hoh/deaf/Deaf people DO struggle in so many ways that you can't see nor hear and you're NOT with them 24/7. Do you really believe that DEAF people will bare their souls to you about their struggles just because you are a friend to them or as an interpreter?
I refused to live in a Deaf community even though I am deaf because this is the hearing world and there are many ways that I can do well and be with many people from all walks of life! I hate living in a city but do work occasionally there as jobs are scarce in a small town. I live in the country by the lake and not only do I love it but many of my hearing friends and relatives love my place! *wink* Gotta go mow my 3 acres and make menu-planning for 4th of July.

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Thu Jul 1, 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #53 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Member No.: 210

My Blog

Well said Sweet N. Every forum has it's "village idiot". That is a fact of life. Heh, heh.

You and I get off on our farming and our gardens. Too bad more peeps don't stay busy tilling the land instead of offering unwanted advice.

+Quote Post
HelloKittyGal
post Thu Jul 1, 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #54 | Print

Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.03
Topics Started: 25
User's local time:
Member No.: 592

Thank you for confirming my previous claim that you are young and immature. Cursing, name-calling and insults will not make me defend myself. I have plenty to say in response to your verbose post, but you've said you don't believe what I say, so I refuse to waste my EXTREMELY valuable (and unfortunately very limited) time on you.

Again, you used the age issue. That's just insults, I don't really care what you think about age. You are NOT a deaf person, and you ACT like you know the answer and what deaf people feel like. Bottom line, you don't know the whole story, so you're not suit to give out real opinions. Everything you said is what ignorant anti-CI, anti-literate, and anti-oralism people would say. It's what you hear, not what you feel. It's all based on anger, and I choose to ACCEPT life as it is and learn from it. I don't need to build my own little culture to nurture my deafness. I am going to be in tune with the real world.

Sweetnanna, good point about the 2 ears (IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by HelloKittyGal: Thu Jul 1, 2004, 07:54 PM

+Quote Post
Wiggums
post Fri Jul 2, 2004, 07:13 AM
Post #55 | Print

Group Icon

User's local time:

QUOTE (HelloKittyGal @ Jul 1 2004, 07:50 PM)
I don't need to build my own little culture to nurture my deafness.  I am going to be in tune with the real world.

(IMG:http://www.deafonline2.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
qwerty
post Fri Jul 23, 2004, 07:53 PM
Post #56 | Print

Q
Group Icon

Posts per day: 0.29
Topics Started: 118
User's local time:
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (FuzzyMathWiz @ Jun 25 2004, 09:52 PM)
never had a truly bad experience. in fact, an interpreter's sharp ears heard an arbitrator chewing out a bad builder behind closed doors -- something I wasn't supposed to hear.

what's wrong with enablers, ahem, I mean interpreters?

Not enough to go around.

They're costly.

You will need one for the rest of your life.

Not enough to go around.

Not always qualifed.

Not always on time or shows up.

Not enough to go around.

You've have to plan your whole life in advance to schedule interpreters.

NOT ENOUGH TO GO AROUND.

There never has been to this day enough interpreters to go around.

ITS INSANE to advocate asl-dependency when wide-spread ample and reasonable cost interpreters have never existed and perhaps may never exist.

Fuzzy's right on this. Even in America there's a shortage of ASL/sign language interpreters. When we have about 900,000+ Deaf people in the United States you WILL get problems in getting the right ASL intperpreter as well as getting a qualified one. Only technology will be able to solve this one and no longer will ASL interpeters be needed when technology can do the same, and better, 24/7.

Even in Finland, demand outweighs supply. Deaf people are taking their rightful place as full participants in society, but in many cases, this demands access via interpretation. Currently there simply are not enough interpreters to go around.
http://scic.cec.eu.int/scicnews/2002/021107/news01.htm

BSL (British Sign Language), while not officially recognised, is nevertheless used in the media (although interpretation into sign language is more widespread). Despite its 200,000 users, BSL, like the sign languages of other countries, suffers from a severe shortage of interpreters (according to a study carried out on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions, there were 129 registered qualified interpreters and 132 registered trainees in the UK in 2001, for a deaf population estimated at between 28,000 and 70,000[3]).

http://assembly.coe.int/Documents/WorkingD...03/EDOC9738.htm.

This post has been edited by qwerty: Fri Jul 23, 2004, 07:54 PM

+Quote Post
Lantana
post Fri Jul 23, 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #57 | Print

"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted"
Group Icon

Topics Started: 77
User's local time:
Member No.: 210

My Blog

Well said, my friend, Q! I was raised without a terp and will continue to go without, I am not stupid or illiterate.

The poor deaf guy who get's busted for a minor offense and cannot read or write English -- well HE needs an interpreter. A battery of them!

+Quote Post
Boult
post Sat Jul 24, 2004, 02:16 AM
Post #58 | Print

I.T.M.F.A.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Posts per day: 0.73
Topics Started: 854
User's local time:
Member No.: 2

My Blog

qwerty.. although BSL is already now officially recognized but the quote remain true...

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts History Of Oral Deaf Education
1 Boult 8,597 3rd March 2004 - 04:59 PM
Last post by: LittlePitty
No New Posts History of Shaving
6 Nancy 5,389 20th April 2003 - 06:10 AM
Last post by: Anja
No new History of Jean Chretien, PM of Canada
18 tAzMaNiAc 6,042 15th February 2003 - 12:53 PM